Seeping Grain Question / Black Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Hansa

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am starting to draft up new ideas for my future brewing schedule. My third down the line is a Black Wheat beer. It is going to be a 4.5 gallon batch with a 7 lb all wheat lme base and some midnight wheat to blacken the color. In addition I’ll be fermenting with a Bavarian Weiss yeast to bring out those great clove and banana esters However I do not want the midnight wheat to overpower the beer with roasted notes... a little roast is nice though... my plan is to use little less than a pound of midnight but my question rests on how I should use it? Should I seep the midnight for 8 hours before or should I add it to the end of the mash?
Thanks

Sounds like a crude mix between a dunkle weizen and a Schwartz bier. Cold steep and hot steep are both options, just depends how subtle you want the midnight wheat to be. I’ve done 18-24hr could steeps with midnight wheat for black IPA’s and had good results. It kind of comes down to preference and trial and error.

Mash is the wrong term for what you’re referencing and will likely cause people to question. What you’re referring to is the steeping part of extract with steeping grains.

Sounds like a crude mix between a dunkle weizen and a Schwartz bier. Cold steep and hot steep are both opt, just depends how subtle you want the midnight wheat to be.
I really only want the midnight for a black srm and slight flavor... would cold seep be better for this?

I edited my previous post to add clarity.

I think cold steeping (not actually cold but room temp on the countertop) one pound for 24hrs is a good starting point.

I edited my previous post to add clarity.

I think cold steeping (not actually cold but room temp on the countertop) one pound for 24hrs is a good starting point.
The last time I steeped dark grains overnight at room temperature I got a sour tang in the beer.

Should I seep the midnight for 8 hours before or should I add it to the end of the mash?
Consider doing the following:
  1. Use a recipe calculator to estimate the minimum amount of midnight wheat needed to get the desired color.
  2. Add the midnight wheat at "flame-on",
  3. remove it when the water temperature gets to 160F-ish.
  4. continue heating to boil.
Wheat Malts - Brewing With Briess

Latest posts

Back