Seeking light beer recipe for girlfried

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turnpoo

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to brewing (extract kits) and I'm trying to find a nice light beer recipe for my girlfriend. She likes Bud Light, I know not exactly the kind of beer the rest of us would like to brew or drink, but I'd like to brew something for her seeing how I've been spending so much $ getting into this hobby. Any recipes not involving urine would help. (I've read threads on this subject and havent found anything helpful.):mug:

I think a cream ale would be a nice option for you. I've had really nice results with Northern Brewer's "Speckled Heifer" beer, it is a Spotted Cow clone. Really cheap, and quite good especially for a bud light drinker. Easy recipe if you want to put it together without buying a kit. Not bad as a red beer either, in a pinch!

You could try something like this:

7 pounds of Pilsner Liquid Malt Extract

1 pound of Rice Syrup

.75 oz of Hallertau boiled for 60 Mins

Ferment with Wyeast 2035

if you can't do Lager Fermentations ferment with Wyeast 1056 around 60 - 64 degrees.

Here's my recommendation ... simple extract American Wheat. Works well in two ways: it tastes great and takes minimal time to make. I've made this over a dozen times and swear it tastes better (and is more consistent) than my all-grain wheats.

5-gallon batch, boil for 60 minutes.

3lb Wheat DME (Briess Bavarian Wheat, or similar)
2lb Light DME

0.5 oz Cascade (~5.5) @60 minutes
1.0 oz Cascade (~5.5) @1 minute, feel free to add more for more aroma

US-05 (American Ale); ferment at 60-70 for two weeks then keg or bottle.

This beer is light and has a good amount of flavor. I've gotten upwards of 4.5% ABV.

Good luck!

boswell said:
Biermuncher's Blue Moon Clone is next up for me for this very reason.

If it matters to your gf-- I am sure it is a good beer (& an authentic belgian wit) but Bier's "clone" is not a clone as I define it. Diff yeast, grains, spicing ratio, etc. A Coors brewer gave us the BM recipe in a thread here.

I've got a really good smooth light recipe if u want in private message me I have it in my keg right now I usually don't like lights but this is amazing. Got recipe from local brew shop

BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde is an incredible beer IMHO, everyone I know that's tried my batch so far has loved it. That goes from craft beer drinkers to hardcore "Coors Light or bust" drinkers.

Give the man what he asked for! This is courtesy of Jamil. If you cant lager you will never nail the profile of bud light which is harder to do than one might think. Fermenting with Nottingham yeast at low temps will likely be sufficient to fool your lady friend. The key is the lack of body and "watery" taste.

5 lbs Light LME
1.3 lbs rice syrups.

Boil for 90 mins, with one bittering hop addition. .5-1 oz. of Hallertau at 60 mins.

Ferment with a clean lager yeast, proper pitching rates and temperature blah blah blah.

Err on the low side for the hops and this should get you close.

*EDIT* This is for a full boil of 7 gal: 1 gal boil off, .5 gal lost to boil kettle after boil, and .5 lost to trub when bottling for 5 gal into bottles.

Back