Seeking Advice: Infused Bourbon Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYHoosier

Reaction score
I'd like my next batch to be a great fall/winter beer that I can give as gifts. As such, I had the idea to blend one of my favorite infused bourbon recipes with Norther Brewers St. Paul Porter.

The porter recipe can be found here: St. Paul Porter

Under additional info.

The infused bourbon recipe calls for the following:

bourbon
3 medium Granny Smith apples--cored and quartered
4 cinammon sticke
2 whole vanilla beans

My plan is to brew the porter per instructions. While the porter is in primary I will soak the above ingredients in enough bourbon to coat. I'll then add all the ingredients (including any remaining bourbon) to the secondary.

Few questions here:
1. Is there a better porter recipe to start with? Maybe something not quite as assertive?
2. Any concern of racking onto the apples? Would I need to add more than three to get flavor and/or aroma?
3. Also considered adding some oak cubes, too much?
4. Any sanitation concerns regarding infusion ingredients? Is the bourbon enough to sanitize?

Looking for any suggestions. Thanks.

I've been thinking of doing a bourbon vanilla porter for the winter. You might search for "Denny's bourbon vanilla porter recipe". It's suppose to be pretty good, although there are no cinnamin or apples in that recipe.

Latest posts

Back