Seedling mat in fermentation chamber - placement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepindavid

Reaction score
I have a question for you all! I'm setting up a fermentation chamber. I bought a used mini-fridge, and I will be receiving shortly an Inkbird ITC-308 and a seedling heating mat (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0001WV010/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20). I ferment in a 6 gallon plastic carboy.

My question: would you place the heating mat at the bottom, having the fermenter simply rest on it, or would you wrap the fermenter with the mat (as shown in the image on Amazon))?

Currently, my basement ambiant air is around 60F, and my first batches fermented a bit low (around 62), so this thing may need to heat a bit during winter months for my ales.

Anybody has experience using a seedling heating mat?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one of these in my fermentation chamber (full-size refrigerator) and I just have it leaning against one side. I used it for the first time recently with a Tripel and it was able to keep the beer at 74° for a number of days. I don't know if this is ideal, but the beer was able to go from 1.082 to 1.009 and turned out great.

Thank you for your responses! I received everything today; everything seems to work as intended (I am making tests with a jug of water). Looking forward to my next brew (early next week), my first one with temp control fermentation! I'll be able to ferment at the temp I want, raise it a bit towards the end, and cold crash when it's done! I am pretty happy right now!

Back