Sediment Question - Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirPublius

Reaction score
I tried posting a question, I THOUGHT in this room, a few minutes ago, and it posted in the cider room IN a different thread I posted....if that makes any sense....so I'm gonna try this again:

I'm making some pear cider and I noticed after it sitting a day that the 1 gallon jugs are like HALF sediment. Will it still ferment properly with that much sediment? Anything I need to worry about from anyone else's previous experience? I'm about to add the yeast here in a few minutes, but wanted to see if I could get some advice first. I added a cup of brown sugar to each gallon, some pectic enzyme, and a campden tablet, and again, was about to add the yeast.

it will probably ferment just fine, you just have the problem of removing the sediment later so it might be better to get it out before starting

Probably too late now, but if I hadn't already pitched the yeast then I might try to decant the wort prior to pitching. I'm not really a cider brewer and I doubt that the trub will really cause major problems, but that does sound like a *lot*

Latest posts

Back