sediment in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmcgill

Reaction score
Just bottled last night....

Looking at my bottles today they have a good deal of sediment. Is this normal? I fermented and dry hopped in one container. then siphoned it out in a second container with priming sugar and bottled. Guessing a secondary ferment could get rid of sediment?

Also, did a taste of some beer prebottle. It tasted sugary and had a strange bitter after taste. Thinking the sugar is the priming sugar and bottling is a part of the beer making process? I made a clone IPA to Torpedo.

Any suggestions?

wait 2-3 weeks or more. your beer is not even close to ready yet. sediment is a natural part of a youngling homebrew. don't get discouraged about it. give 'er a few more weeks and try again. I am just now getting to the point of a double ipa being carbed and clean and pretty after more than a month.

Bottle carbonating will give you some sediment at the bottom since you're basically restarting fermentation a little bit. It's unavoidable. I am sure most of it is just from that, unless you were pulling a bunch of sediment from the fermenter.
If you want to improve the clarity of your beer, you can Cold crash it. Basically just put your fermenter and a refrigerator or in your basin tub with some cold water and maybe a frozen water bottle or two. The idea is to get it cold but not cold enough for it to freeze. I tried to keep mine at around 40° for a few days, that will make all the sediment and junk sink to the bottom so you can siphon off the clear beer on top.

Just bottled last night....

Looking at my bottles today they have a good deal of sediment. Is this normal? I fermented and dry hopped in one container. then siphoned it out in a second container with priming sugar and bottled. Guessing a secondary ferment could get rid of sediment?

Also, did a taste of some beer prebottle. It tasted sugary and had a strange bitter after taste. Thinking the sugar is the priming sugar and bottling is a part of the beer making process? I made a clone IPA to Torpedo.

Any suggestions?

Yeah, sediment is normal. With practice (and a willingness not to scrape for every last drop of your precious beer) you will get less.

If you tasted the beer after adding the priming sugar it will definitely be sweet. You should taste a sample prior to adding the priming sugar. And you certainly should expect a bitter after taste, especially in contrast to the sweet taste of sugary wort in a torpedo clone. I'm assuming you wanted something hoppy and bitter when you picked that recipe to brew. Don't worry, it will probably turn out great.

It smells great... just the taste was a sugary (confirmed due to priming sugar now) and a strange non ipa bitterness.. lets hope 2 weeks of in the dark closet bottling will get it correct.

yup, you made beer. probably really good beer. 3 weeks or more in bottles and it'll be one of the best beers you've ever had is my guess. ignore it in the dark, get your pipeline full, and be pleasantly surprised when you open it ;)

It smells great... just the taste was a sugary (confirmed due to priming sugar now) and a strange non ipa bitterness.. lets hope 2 weeks of in the dark closet bottling will get it correct.

Pop open a bottle of Torpedo, bring it to room temp and let it go flat for about 3 days, then dissolve a tsp of sugar in it and taste it. I'm betting it will have a pretty non-ipa bitterness in the after taste a well;) Don't worry, it should turn out fine.

brewit2it said:
pop open a bottle of torpedo, bring it to room temp and let it go flat for about 3 days, then dissolve a tsp of sugar in it and taste it. I'm betting it will have a pretty non-ipa bitterness in the after taste a well;) don't worry, it should turn out fine.

blasphemy!!

Back