sediment control problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kewlio250

Reaction score
i just finished a batch and straned it with a fairly fine mesh stainless steel screen, but there is still a ton of sediment in the bottles, and this is after 3 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in secondary, for next time, what can i do to reduce the sediment come bottling time?

What is your bottling process?

i use a bottling bucket, with a garden hose spigot fitted well above the sediment line, through a small filter piece inside a 5/6" barb garden hose fitting, then through 5/6" ID tubing to a bottling wand (i think thats what its called, spring loaded tip for filling from the bottom) into 750ml champagne bottles, i did backsweeten this batch, but immediately pasteurized the whole batch

Either give it some more time to clear in secondary or use a fining agent to drop the particulate out of suspension. And of course making sure fermentation is over is the best thing to do, or you could run it through sterile filtration.

i use a bottling bucket, with a garden hose spigot fitted well above the sediment line, through a small filter piece inside a 5/6" barb garden hose fitting, then through 5/6" ID tubing to a bottling wand (i think thats what its called, spring loaded tip for filling from the bottom) into 750ml champagne bottles, i did backsweeten this batch, but immediately pasteurized the whole batch

How do you rack to bottling bucket? One of those easy siphon gizmo's is a good investment (real name escapes me at the moment). I use one to bottle directly from the carboy and skip the bottling bucket.

If you really want clear cider I would recommend that you not bottle until your cider has stopped dropping lees. This requires some patience and possibly several rackings.

I would suggest lengthening your time clearing. My process is 2 months minimum in the primary and 3-6 months in a clearing vessel(s).

Latest posts

Back