Sediment around top of boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AltInGlass

Reaction score
New brewer here. I just got done brewing my first. It was an Altbier. It was such that I added one ounce of a certain hops at the start of an hour boil. Then the second flavor I added half of it at the half hour mark and the other half right at the end.

During the first half of the boil, there was a sediment that formed at the top that I didn't stir in. I kept kniking it down during the second half hour. Did I lose flavor by not stirring it in during the first half hour?

Also when I dumped the wort into the fermenter I scooped a lot of the hops sediment into the fermenter with the liquid. Bad or good move?

1) Most of that sediment is probably from your hops, assuming you're using pellet hops. There shouldn't be enough left on the kettle to make a noticable difference. RDWHAHB, your beer is fine.

2) Some people strain that stuff out, some people leave it in. Really, it doesn't make a huge difference either way. RDWHAHB, your beer is fine.

:mug:

Often the hops will float up on the foam when you first add them; I usually scrape them back in, because you can't get any bitterness from hops not in the boiling wort. It affects brews with less hops more substantially (since more of the overall hop bill is not in the wort). Your batch may end up less bitter than planned, but it should be ok. In the future, do try to scrape or rinse them down (or manage your foaming to avoid the issue altogether).

Often the hops will float up on the foam when you first add them; I usually scrape them back in, because you can't get any bitterness from hops not in the boiling wort. It affects brews with less hops more substantially (since more of the overall hop bill is not in the wort). Your batch may end up less bitter than planned, but it should be ok. In the future, do try to scrape or rinse them down (or manage your foaming to avoid the issue altogether).
Good answer.You can avoid having to scrape your hops off the kettle sides by simply waiting until you have reached a good boil before adding them.That way they won't float up on top of the foam when it tries to boil over.Just let it settle down into the boil before adding them and you and your hops will stay happy(and in the pot):mug:

Back