Secondary's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidebung

Reaction score
So far I have only made 6 batches of beer and have noticed that the target SG's of all of them have been acheived at all different number of days. So my question is when you have reached you're target SG, but the beer is not clear how much longer could you or should you wait before bottling? How many days of waiting is too long?

Some people on here have gone for months. Five weeks was the longest for me.

After I reach the FG, I leave it in the fermenter a few more days, usually about 10 days total. I leave it in the clearing tank (secondary) for up to a month or so after that.

Use the 1,2,3 method. 1 week in primary. 2 weeks in the secondary. And 3 weeks in the bottles. This is what a lot of people including myself do. Or if you aren't using a secondary, 3 weeks in primary and then 3 weeks in bottles. Hope this answers your question.

thank you.......so it's better to leave the beer in the secondary a longer amount of time for clarity. But not over a month. I have been using (roughly) the 1,2,3 way. So you are saying it's ok to use 1,4,3 if that's what it takes for clarity?

You can leave the beer in the clearing tank (secondary) for a long, long time. I don't usually, because I'm eager to keg that beer (or bottle it). But I have left it for several months and it's fine to do that. I've never heard of anybody ever saying they left it "too long". I just said up to a month because that's typically what I do, unless it's a lager. I'll leave it in the carboy when I lager for a couple of months at least.

Back