Secondary: When to rack (Tripel)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlc767

Reaction score
I've been looking online and getting bombarded by so much information on racking to secondary. When I had posted to this forum about my first batch being a Belgian Tripel, someone had mentioned keeping the brew in the primary for 3 weeks before bottling. That was (and is) my plan. But as I research things... I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision.

It's been 8 days in the primary and the bubbles have stopped. Haven't seen a bubble in a day or so. On Friday it will be 12 days in the primary and payday. I can pick up a 5-gallon carboy and rack to secondary if you guys think it will be worth it...

Again, this is a Belgian Tripel at around 8-9%.

Thoughts? :)

don't rack a trippel until the FG bottoms out. check that hydrometer reading and try to ignore the airlock activity. If you take it off the yeast early, you're going to have a lot of trouble getting rid of those last few points. Go ahead and get yourself the carboy if you can afford it, but don't rack prematurely. you can keep that beer on yeast for a month if need be.

+1. Most Belgian yeast strains take a long time to drop clear anyway. My tripel has been in the fridge for 7 weeks and it's just now becoming bright!

Cool, I will check the gravity today and see where I'm at. Thanks, all. :)

Back