Secondary Techinique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NUCC98

Reaction score
Has anyone pitched yeast into their secondary? I was wonderin gif this might be a possability for higher alcohol brews like Imperial Stouts or Barley Wines.

Adding yeast to secondary is often used to unstick a stuck fermentation, but the best way to brew higher gravity brews is to use a high-gravity yeast. Both yeast manufacturers make a high-gravity strain, or you can use champagne to do the trick.

I did meet another brewer who consistently added champagne yeast to secondary because he liked his ales to finish dry, but I didn't get to sample his wares to make any real judgment.

I've never done it...that sounds wild adding champagne yeast to the secondary.

It really seems kind of overkill, unless you have a stuck ferment (rare in my experience). The yeast won't have any oxygen in the secondary and I doubt they can do much...at least not very fast. Other than really wild, high octane brews, most good liquid yeasts will tear right through it.

This weekend I am making a Barleywine beer that requires a 2nd stage Champaingn yeast to be added to the brew, but that beer has 12 pounds of malt in it......... not the usually 5-8lbs....... :D

but if there is sugar left after the primary then the new yeast will eat the remaining sugar for more ALC.......

but in a normal kit I doubt it will really matter.

Brewman said:
This weekend I am making a Barleywine beer that requires a 2nd stage Champaingn yeast to be added to the brew, but that beer has 12 pounds of malt in it......... not the usually 5-8lbs....... :D

but if there is sugar left after the primary then the new yeast will eat the remaining sugar for more ALC.......

but in a normal kit I doubt it will really matter.

That's what I was thinking...I made an Imperial Stout, and was wondering if I should dump some champagne yeast in the secondary to mop up any leftover fermentables...

NUCC98 said:
Has anyone pitched yeast into their secondary? I was wonderin gif this might be a possability for higher alcohol brews like Imperial Stouts or Barley Wines.

No but I have pitched a primary (DCL T58) ONTO a secondary of Danstar Nottingham it went from 1.012 to 1.008 in about 3 days and it kept its peppery edge T58 is the best!!!!!!

The Brew Hut on Hwy 171 in north Lake Charles. It's located in side the Old Town General store. No help there, your on your own. Also in Sulphur across from the hospital on East Napolean there's U Brew It. Guys normally there and has been brewing for years very knowledgeable. If you need help go to Sulphur. Likes to let u sample his wine. If you know what you need and don't need any help go to the one in LC. Neither hbs has a whole lot of stuff, might call ahead if your drivin in.

Back