Secondary Regulator Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarheel4985

Reaction score
So I was given a primary regulator and 2 secondary regulators that came out of an old bar. They are older Tap-Rite regulators and they seem to work fine. However, I was hoping to connect the two secondaries together using a threaded brass nipple but it seems like the barbs are stuck on both regulators. There are barbs on each of the three sides of both regulators, the input, the pass-through and the regulated output and I've tried loosening them both ways (not sure if they're left-hand threaded or right-hand). No luck on either regulator.

Here are my questions. First of all, does anyone know of a way to loosen the barb fittings on regulators? I've tried everything I know and I haven't made any progress. And strength is definitely not the issue.

Secondly, is there any real issue with simply connecting the two regulators with some 5/16" gas line? The primary regulator has already stepped the pressure down to about 30 psi so pressure shouldn't be a problem for the lines. Is there any particular reason everyone seems to connect their regulators with the brass nipples, or is it just for aesthetics and minimizing excess lines?

I was also hoping to change the barbs for flared fittings (since that's what I'm using everywhere else in the system) but I guess since the lines connected to the regulators are semi-permanent it's not as big of an issue. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Secondly, is there any real issue with simply connecting the two regulators with some 5/16" gas line?

No problem. The main reason for just using nipples is fewer connections, that's all. I use tubing between my secondaries.

One recommendation, use hose clamps.

Back