Secondary question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgbolton1

Reaction score
I have a 5 gal. Flanders Brown recipe in secondary right now. It is in a 6.5 gallon carboy because that is all I had. In your experiences will this much head space affect the beer a lot? If so do I need to rush and get a 5 gal. carboy
or is it to late.

No, he said secondary, so very little CO2. You should at least flush the headspace with CO2 but if you can't I'd think about transferring.

I'd have to disagree... The beer will form a pellicle to protect against the oxygen. Now don't get me wrong, a smaller headspace and flushing with CO2 can't hurt but I'm my experience you're fine.

I bought a new 5 gallon carboy and transferred. Should I re-pitch wyeast 3763 or am I good. Also it was sitting on currants and i tossed them should I add some more. They were on the original currants for about a month.

You should have mentioned it was on currants. The sugars from them could have purged the CO2, I would have at least left it on them for a few months. How old is this flanders that you already added currants? No need for more yeast, tho the occasional sour dregs can help.

I'd have to disagree... The beer will form a pellicle to protect against the oxygen. Now don't get me wrong, a smaller headspace and flushing with CO2 can't hurt but I'm my experience you're fine.

A pellicle limits the exposure, but its not impenetrable. Entirely possible to end up fine, a lil acetic isn't such a bad thing, but it's more headspace than I would want for long term aging

no i got that, how old total? I wouldnt add fruit before 9 months

http://beerandwinejournal.com/can-co2-form-a-blanket/

dcp27 is correct:

The link above may help a little. The reason why CO2 doesn't really form the layer, as many people believe, is because any time CO2 and oxygen is in the same container, which always happens, the molecules will bounce off each other and the gasses will mix. Every time the airlock is removed for samples etc. oxygen will get in. The pellicle is the beer's natural defense. The best real defense if keep it as topped off as possible to limit the oxygen exposure.

Back