secondary in corny question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velotime

Reaction score
I've searched around on this and was hoping to get my process double checked before I dive in.

I have Coconut Porter that is ready to be put onto the toasted coconut for a few days but I only have one better bottle. So, I thought that I would just use a corny keg.

Here's the plan.
-Put toasted coconut in dry hop bags and tie with floss so I can pull them out.
-Rack beer onto it.
-Seal the keg and purge out air with co2.

Here's where I'm not sure of the best practice.

Do I?
a. Take it off the gas once sealed and purged, bring it inside to secondary at fermentation temp, pull the coconut when done, cold crash, then carb and cool? I assume it will stay sealed up.

b. Pony up and buy a second BB. Seems like getting the coconut out of there would be a PITA.

c. ??? Any obvious methods I'm overlooking due to my lack of experience?

TIA

If you are going to secondary in the keg, I would disconnect the gas line. Reason being that if the gas is continually connected and has pressure on the beer, the CO2 will start to dissolve into the beer - even if it's a relatively high temperature, some will still dissolve in solution, thus carbonating your beer... Which is probably what you would want to avoid at this point.

Assuming you're good with sealing up the keg (using keg lube, tightening the posts, etc...) the keg would stay sealed up just fine.

IMO option "a" sounds good to me.

BTW, a coconut porter sounds good. Have you had one before and/or is there a commercial example?

Cool, thanks for the input. I haven't used keg lube before so I'll go grab some of that today to amke sure it's sealed up nice and tight.

I got the idea from Maui Brewing they have a coconut porter that I was an impulse but that turned out to be quite good. Kona Brewing has a Coconut Brown Ale that's pretty good as well and a bit easier to find.

Back