Secondary Fermenter for Hefe-Weizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hucko

Reaction score
I've started a batch of Paulaner-style Hefe-Weizen similar to the one on the recipes page. I pitched Sunday evening and after a slow start, much to my delight the fermentation has finally started taking off well after three days. My question is, when fermentation is complete, does it really pay to do a secondary fermentation?

My understanding is that a secondary fermentation is for clearing. Hefe-Weizen is unfiltered and typically cloudy with yeast sediment, so does the secodary fermentation really pay for this style of beer?

Keep in mind, as this is my first real batch of homebrew and, after boiling and cooling, I poured the wort, trub, and all right into the carboy, so in this case the secondary fermenter may be a good idea, or not? If I hadn't done that would I still use the secondary?

Thanks,

Hucko

How much corn sugar do you use for the prime? I'm actually shooting for something similar to the Hacker-Pschorr version of Hefe-Weizen, and I would like that level of carbonation. Hacker-Pschorr and Paulaner Hefe are almost the same in that respect, I know, but how much sugar would you recommend to achieve that?

Thanks,

Hucko

Back