Secondary fermentation not in Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFamato

Reaction score
If I do my secondary fermentation in a 6 gallon plastic bucket made for primary fermentation instead of a carboy or a better bottle. Will that work?

Assuming this is a 5 gallon batch, some recommend a smaller secondary such as a 5 gallon carboy to limit the headspace because CO2 is less likely to be produced and drive out any oxygen in the headspace.

That said, it will be fine, but if you going to secondary for a long period of time, buckets are also more oxygen permeable, so keep that in mind.

BigBlueDog said:
Assuming this is a 5 gallon batch, some recommend a smaller secondary such as a 5 gallon carboy to limit the headspace because CO2 is less likely to be produced and drive out any oxygen in the headspace.

That said, it will be fine, but if you going to secondary for a long period of time, buckets are also more oxygen permeable, so keep that in mind.

What would you consider to be a long time fermenting? Plus being a 5 gallon batch would a 5 gallon carboy be to tight. How much head space should you have? An inch or two?

What would you consider to be a long time fermenting? Plus being a 5 gallon batch would a 5 gallon carboy be to tight. How much head space should you have? An inch or two?

When you transfer a 5 gallon original volume batch, you'll have closer to 4.5 gallons transferred.

Personally, the ONLY time I'll rack a brew to a vessel that it won't be served from is when aging for X months on an element that works best off of the yeast. I'm also one of the brewers (there's a lot of us) that just use longer primary vessel times to get the same results (or better) than those that rack to a brite tank.

I would simply give it enough time in primary to both taste ready, reach an actual FG (test with a hydrometer or refractometer and confirm it with a second reading 2-4 days from the first one) before going to keg/bottle. Since I brew using ale yeast, that has a good flocculation rating (typically at least 'high') I get really clear brews without needing to rack (or filter/use other fining agents post ferment). I typically go at least 3 weeks in primary (I have a SMaSH in primary now that will probably get kegged at about 3 weeks from pitching) if not longer. I have an old ale that will be in the 7-8 week range in primary, where my wee heavy went 8 weeks in primary before going to aging vessel with oak cubes. Most of my batches are in the 3-6 weeks in primary range. ALL of them are great and ready for drinking as soon as carbonated. I don't have any need to bottle condition my batches, which you will if you bottle it too soon, or get it off the yeast too early.

BTW, there are posts on these boards from people who have had batches sitting on the yeast (in bucket or carboy) for 6 months, or more, without any negative impact...

Back