Secondary Fermentation Duration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterTheBrew

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am new to brewing and have a question regarding the secondary fermentation process. I racked my brew to a secondary carboy after it sat in the primary for 5 days. It has been in the secondary for 4 days now. I just took a gravity reading and it is at its FG of 1.016. I wasnt planning on bottling until this saturday. Is it ok to leave it for 4 or 5 more days? or do i need to bottle it sooner?

Thanks!:D

The longer you leave it, the better. It will actually be BETTER in 4-5 days rather than bottling now. If you can wait a month, wait a month. If you can wait two, wait two. The last bottle of beer is always the best, with few exceptions.

Typically, though, it's a good idea to leave it in primary with the yeast until it reaches FG (no matter how long that takes), then give it another 5-7 days for the yeast to clean up after themselves. After that, you can go to secondary if you're going to dry hop or add other additives like fruit or oak. Something to do for next time!

So my next question is: I just bottled my second batch and both times I gave it a taste and while the flavors are great the beer itself seems watered down. Is that normal for the beer at this stage?

Thanks!

You racked pretty early (time-wise). I'd recommend letting it sit a week or 10 days at least even if it is down to FG. Yeast type, recipe and ferment temps would help determine your problem.

Everyone does that in their first brew or two. Racked after 3-5 days, then wants to bottle within 2 weeks total. Most brews can go primary only for 2-4 weeks and then bottle conditioning for 3 weeks. If you want really clear beer, then a secondary can help. It's also useful for dry hopping, adding fruit, or lagering.

So my next question is: I just bottled my second batch and both times I gave it a taste and while the flavors are great the beer itself seems watered down. Is that normal for the beer at this stage?

it can be. carbonation changes alot of the profile. next time just leave the beer in the primary for 2+ weeks. moving the beer too early can cause it to be sweeter (not finished fermenting), apple-y (Acetaldehyde), and buttery (diacetyl) among other things.

If you want really clear beer, then a secondary can help.

theres nothing special about a secondary that causes it to clear any faster.

The first one was an oktoberfest. this recent one is a winter ale both Niagara Tradition.

ok thanks. It's confusing cuz the recipies say to leave in primary for a week then bottle and leave in bottle for 4 weeks.. Does the watery consistency mean it wont get any bolder after it sits in the bottle?

ok thanks. It's confusing cuz the recipies say to leave in primary for a week then bottle and leave in bottle for 4 weeks.. Does the watery consistency mean it wont get any bolder after it sits in the bottle?

I find my beers body fills out significantly with age, but the BIGGEST factor by far is carbonation. Your beer will be so much fuller bodied and seem totally different once it's been carbonated and conditioned to the proper level.

Back