second year leaf issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MakeDankBeer

Reaction score
Hello all, amateur / wannabe green thumb, hops actually got me interested in plants. These are my second year comet, I am trying to figure out what exactly is going on with them so I can fix it if its possible. The leaves are are getting holes in them and some of them are turning brown on the ends. I was thinking downy mildew since it appears they can get it. Other pictures online look similar, I am also not sure if this could be a pest problem? This holes in the leaves are on the multihead I have also but not as bad and no brown leaves. I also have a southern cross growing that looks perfect no issues. Thanks in advance.
IMG-7795.jpg

IMG-7798.jpg

I am no expert, I see you have them potted. The yellowing could be a nutrient issue, perhaps needing iron... they like calcium too clean eggshells are good for calcium. Also, they don’t like to be too wet. Your local university cooperative may be very helpful.

I am no expert, I see you have them potted. The yellowing could be a nutrient issue, perhaps needing iron... they like calcium too clean eggshells are good for calcium. Also, they don’t like to be too wet. Your local university cooperative may be very helpful.

Before they really started growing I repotted them in larger container and put in new potting soil( https://www.malibucompost.com/product-page/baby-bu-s-potting-soil-12-qt )
that was probably 2 months ago, so you may be right that it is time to add some nutrients.

Back