Second-ever brew, Hi!, and a few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good evening! Just joined the forum today, thought i'd drop a post containing the standard FNG stuff, here goes:

Brewed my second-ever batch of beer a couple nights ago (A Rye IPA) and my steep got to 170 for a good two minutes, because Facebook :drunk:. I quickly killed the flame added a few cups worth of refrigerated drinking water to cool it back down but the damage may be done. Anyway, did i ruin my beer or will the hoppiness of the IPA mostly hide my blunder?

Also, so far I've been doing extract brews using ingredient kits from my local shop, the kits are stored at room temp (~77f?, it's Phoenix, after all) on a shelf. What kind of condition can I expect my yeast to be in? I pitched at 80f un-hydrated since i don't have a chiller yet and was worried about contamination if i left the top open too long. I'm wondering the lack of refrigeration combined with the hot pitch did a double-whammy on my yeast population, my fermentation is very slow 48 hours in. Should i consider re-pitching?

1-don't thinki a few min at 170 is a problem What did you get it back down to?
2-I never hydrate my dry yeast.
3-what temp are you fermenting at? over 70 could be a problem.

Once I got it under 170, I let it drop to about the mid 150's and kept it there for the remainder of the 20mins.

I'm fermenting between 66-74, depending on time of day. I have five frozen 12oz bottles of water that I add to the water surrounding my bucket three times per day and it keeps it pretty cool. I have 10 total and just switch them out. It actually looks like it's starting to pick up a bit, I'm getting a bubble every 2.5-3s

What yeast? 74 is too high for a lot of yeasts.

As for the steeping, you're good. You can chill your beer down past 80 and you should going forward. Use an ice bath. 80 is tough but not horrid.

Welcome to the hobby. This is a great place to learn.

Back