Second Cider Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Eduardo

new addiction: brewing
Reaction score
Cheap and less complicated to make, viewing from my corner of the world. Holiday season spurred a lot of grocery promotions. Got my 100% "Ceres" brand apple juice on 1 U.S. dollar off if I buy 2 liters. I got me 10 liters.

Did the first trial batch, just to check how will it turn out. Came out better than I expected, and the brew is just popular with the ladies in the house. They drink more than I do!

This will be my second run. The so called trial batch finished and cleared in 6 weeks; 2 weeks primary, 3 weeks secondary, 1 week cold crashing in the fridge. A bit green, but highly drinkable. Sadly I was not able to take photos because of the constant "buzzing" in my ears, which always sounds like "is it done yet"?

So this is how I am doing my version of store bought apple juice cider:

Total Batch Volume 4.0L OG: 1.056
3.6 L Ceres Apple Juice Must
0.4 L Ceres Apple Juice Starter​

Main Must (rested for 24 hours after Campden Tablet/ before pitching yeast)
3.6 L Ceres Apple Juice
0.1 L Solution for Tannin
4 pcs Korean Green Tea bags (brewed in 100 ml hot water for 1 hour)
90 grams Brown Sugar
2 tsp Pectolase
1 tab Campden Tablet​

Starter of Sorts (innoculated for 24 hours)
0.4 L Ceres Apple Juice
1 gram 71B-1122
1/8 tsp Bread Yeast autolyzed
0.1 gram WYeast Wine Nutrient
40 grams Brown Sugar
Aerate/ de-gas every 12 hours, and leave the fermenting vessel loosely capped with sanitized kitchen towel, secured with rubber bands. Sealed the fermenter and attached the airlock only at the last 1/3 sugar break. First and secondary fermentation done at 20 °C with ice bottles replaced every 12 hours.

Nutrient Additions
0 Hours: 0.5 grams WYeast Nutrient / 2.6 grams Fermax
24 Hours: 0.5 grams WYeast Nutrient / 2.6 grams Fermax
1/3 Sugar Break 2.6 grams Fermax​

Will finish dry at 1.000 or less, and back sweeten/ carbonate with corn sugar prior to transfer in 330 ml PET bottles.

Hopefully I can take photos this time.

Latest posts

Back