Second Brew going...but is beginning to smell a bit at 40 hours.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoBrewMeister

Reaction score
So...I was excited because my blue moon esque brew has begun to ferment. However, I just checked on it (40 hours in carboy) and decided to open the carboy. I took the rubber lid off and thought it smelled quite bitter. There is foam and bubbling and so forth. But, it doesn't smell beautiful. Is this okay? Should it smell bitter, or sour? Here is the recipe (if this helps you):

1 lb Crystal 10
6 lb Wheat Lime
1 oz Hallertau (hoping this is where the bitter smell is coming from)
1 oz Sweet Orange
1/2 oz crushed coriander
Yeast: American Hefeweizen WLP320

Recommendations?!?!

Chris

Leave it alone and relax. Fermentation can make some funky sights and smells. Infections are rare and highly unlikely. Go drink you a bottle or two of your first batch, grab a paper towel, sit back and watch those yeast flocculate.

So it is normal that it has a somewhat weird smell? My first brew never omitted a smell like this. Granted, this is a different beer, with a liquid yeast...

Recommendation: Put the lid back on and leave it alone for a couple weeks.

Your beer is fine, but if you keep opening it up and checking on it you may create a problem. At the 40-hour mark, it's just getting started. The yeast know what to do and they just need some time to do it. Try to relax and resist the urge to check up on things.

Different yeast is the thing. I have had a lot of smells with the beers I have brewed. If it smells really weird at bottling time then it might be acting off, but still wait on it. Unless you did something unusual to your brew it will be fine.

The only thing I could think of that I may have taken a short cut on is that I cleaned and sanitized my bottling bucket on Monday night, and then didn't re-clean/sanitize on Tuesday night before I used the bottling bucket to transfer the wort from the stove to the carboy. I don't have a funnel...need to go get one. I'm not sure if that would create a problem or not.

But, I will leave the beer for a couple of weeks and see what happens...here's to hoping!

In general it's good practice to sanitize right before adding the wort into the fermenter. However as long as it was covered the whole time I'm sure it was fine.

But again, I just wouldn't worry about it. Leave your beer alone and let it ride out. Different beers and different yeasts will smell and behave differently.

I know I know, I've already posted about this...

but how long will it smell the way it does?
when will I know if it's not any good?
should it be chunky and weird colored?

Chris

Chris

your choice of beer (blue moon clone) has something to do with it - different beers give off different smells as they ferment. Yeast strains also impact that olfactory perception.

you will know if its not any good 6 weeks after you bottle it - you MUST carry on. All the way through. To bottling and conditioning - do not ever dump a batch unless you did something ridiculously stupid like pour bleach into your wort.

chunky and weird colored is part of normal fermentation.

Just step back for 4 weeks. Really. It will all be fine!

Different beers and especially different yeasts will have different properties to fermentation. Some will smell great, some will down right stink. The wit recipe I usually make smells of hot dogs right up to kegging. Grosses me out, but it's always spot on for serving.

Chris

Your best bet is to stop worrying about it, any way you can. The more you concern yourself, the more likely you'll be to go crack the bucket open again and inspect it. The more often you crack that thing open, the more vectors you may provide for infection.

But to address your questions:
1) By the time the yeast is done doing its thing, off smells should be gone. This could be a matter of days, but more likely it's a matter of weeks.

2) With a LOT of experience, you can begin to tell earlier and earlier in the process if something might be not quite right. But in general, as others have stated, you won't know for certain that it's BAD until it's been fermented 3-4 weeks, bottled, and bottle-conditioned at least 3 weeks, but the longer you can wait the better. Conversely, in general, if it's going to be a good beer, you may know that considerably earlier. But especially while the beer is in primary, it's WAY too early to begin to believe it's a bad beer!

3) Different yeasts do different things. I've seen some that develop just a nice, clean, pretty off-white krausen. I've seen some where the krausen is a lumpy mess with big green splotches in it. The yeast cake at the bottom can be similarly varied - it can be a clean smooth white layer of material, or it can have peaks and valleys, or it can get chunky.

The moral of the story - in just your second batch, you're not going to be able to tell much of anything about your beer before it's done. After your dozenth, probably the same. However, after 10 or 12 times brewing the exact same brew, you might be able to detect certain patterns of activity and notice when something's not fitting that pattern. But for now, walk away from the bucket and don't worry about it! Trust me, I know it's easier said than done - I've done many batches with a friend, where it was easier for me because everything happened at his place. I didn't have the option to go peek at any given time. I've only just begun brewing at my house, and I'm intimately familiar with the temptation to check things too often. It's one of those things we all (hopefully) learn to cope with.

ColoradoBrewMeister said:
you won't know if it's any good until it's done and you're tasting it, sorry.

As for the smell, wheat beer yeasts throw tons of odor, not all pleasant. My hefeweizens always smell like rotten eggs for 3-4 days after fermentation starts, which gradually mellows to a banana bread like aroma after a week or so.

My hefeweizen made with Wyeast 3068 smelled awfully sour when I opened up the fermenter at bottling time. The smell was slightly evident when I tried one after a week, just because I was curious about the smell. Now, two weeks later it's almost completely dissipated. I have to really smell several times to detect any trace of it. I'm thinking after 3 weeks it will be 100% gone.

So don't worry about it even if it smells off at bottling time. Just relax and wait till after it's been in the bottle 3 weeks or so.

Rev.

Yes please leave it alone and stop opening it up just to smell it. Check back in a few weeks when you want to bottle it, taste your finishing gravity hydrometer sample. You will probably be pleasantly surprised.

My carmel amber smelled like a wet f@rt for a few days last week, stunk up the whole room and I had a great time blaming my wife and kids for the stench. :drunk:

Heh, wait until you give Ed's Apfelwein a try. The scent the fermenter can give off is 'jokingly' called rhino farts for a reason...

Okay....

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this. To be honest this smell turns me off to wheat beers...until I taste another good one that is! Which hopefully will be later tonight!

I will wait, and then wait some more...

One other question...Is it normal that after 60 hours nothing has gone through the blow off tube, except for terrible smelling yeast gas? My first brew had a TON go through the blow off before I put the airlock on. What should I expect?

expect the unexpected, just about all my brews have done different things, some very surprising, some just laid there :ban:
Test if you must fuss with it or just let it go for a bit.

Dude, you are not relaxing.
Have your wife, GF, roommate, mom, uncle or SOMEBODY install a lock on the door to your carboy and chill.
By the way, how do you smell bitter?

LOL! I'm not sure how I can smell bitter...but whatever I smell is like rotten eggs. I have enough confidence now that this may be normal and I will just leave it.

I make a wheat beer that throws out some nasty sulfurous odors the entire time it's fermenting. Nothing to worry about.

Back