second batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshort4

Reaction score
Just started my second batch (porter w/steeping grains)..Everything went much smoother this time. ....until the very end. I took my sample for a gravity reading after I pitched the yeast :( I noticed some of my little friends in the tube while taking the reading.

I had an extra pack of Muntons dry yeast so I pitched 1/4 of the bag.

My first batch (oatmeal stout) is in the secondary...so I thought I would try not racking this batch and let it go 3-4 weeks in the primary. Wife is wondering what I'm going to do with 100+ beers :)

My first batch (oatmeal stout) is in the secondary...so I thought I would try not racking this batch and let it go 3-4 weeks in the primary. Wife is wondering what I'm going to do with 100+ beers :)

Ummmmmm.......Get DRUNK!!! :ban:

Just started my second batch (porter w/steeping grains)..Everything went much smoother this time. ....until the very end. I took my sample for a gravity reading after I pitched the yeast :( I noticed some of my little friends in the tube while taking the reading.

I had an extra pack of Muntons dry yeast so I pitched 1/4 of the bag.

No, don't do this. Unless you tried to suck up the yeast into the the tube in with your reading, there's still plenty of yeast to get the job done. It just may take a little big longer, that's all. Also, don't put in just a 1/4 packet of yeast, you're just making their jobs harder and there's the possibility of contamination with the dry yeast while it's in storage. They go through a population explosion before converting the wort to beer, and the less of them there are the more work they have to do, but it'll get done.

Short version: you didn't have to worry, but if you repitch do the whole damn packet.

Back