Second AG batch 75.2% efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer is good

Reaction score
I mashed my first AG batch in a pot on the stove. So today I tried mashing in my little MLT cooler, and according to beersmith my efficiency is 75.2%

I am pretty happy with my efficiency, but my temperature control was not quite what I wanted.

My mashing temperatures seemed to drop off a little faster than when I tried with water only but maybe I didn't wait long enough before doing my initial measurement. It dropped from 147 to 140 in 50 minutes, then I bumped it up to 153, and in 30 minutes it was back at 145. I don't have enough experience to know how this will effect my final product.

I put some wort in a bowl and put a drop of iodine, I didn't see any purple or black color. So I guess that means it was done, then I just boiled it like normal.

Did you preheat your cooler to try to get it to match your mash temp? Btw, that wouldn't have anything to do with efficiency anyhow. Your crush is more likely to determine that. Then next your sparge.

Rev.

Did you preheat your cooler to try to get it to match your mash temp? Btw, that wouldn't have anything to do with efficiency anyhow. Your crush is more likely to determine that. Then next your sparge.

Rev.

I didn't do this. I think I will tonight, I am brewing one more since my mini fridge can hold two mini carboys.

I didn't pre-heat it because when I tested with plain water I lost X degrees, so I just calculated that much loss. It didn't work out the same with grain in there :drunk:

I will try pre-heating tonight.

Preheating helps a bunch. I get my strike water up to 175-180F then pump it into my MLT and let it sit for a bit to heat up the keggle (insulated with armaflex) while I measure out my salt additions. Then I'll stir the water until I hit my strike temp.

One thing I miss about cooler MLTs was their ability to maintain temps. My old setup was a cooler and it could go 1.5 hrs and only drop a degree or two

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

When you say efficiency, do you mean Total Efficiency (brewhouse eff.) or Mash Efficiency?

When you say efficiency, do you mean Total Efficiency (brewhouse eff.) or Mash Efficiency?

I think it must be mash efficiency, I will have to look at beersmith tonight to tell for sure. It was the efficiency that is displayed near where you enter the measured OG

Back