Second addition of hops at "zero"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefBrew

Reaction score
So my next batch of beer is a trappist ale. This is a big step I think. The question I have is that there are two hop additions: one at the beggining, or 60 min., and one at 0 min. What can "zero" mean? What do I do?

Also you will come across "dry hopping" and then "hopback".

I
ve never done anything with dry hopping but this is where you add the hops AFTER you have carboyed it and I BELIEVE after fermentation (someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Hopbacking is where you more or less siphon your wort over leaf hops and that wort goes into another vessle.

So I think I'm going to Sry Hop this beer. Any thoughts?

I dry hopped my last beer with the 0 minute addition (also known as a flame out or whirlpool addition, sometimes added with the use of a hopback) I forgot about. It will give you a slightly "greener" flavor, but will contribute basically the same thing to the beer.

Also you will come across "dry hopping" and then "hopback".

I
ve never done anything with dry hopping but this is where you add the hops AFTER you have carboyed it and I BELIEVE after fermentation (someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Hopbacking is where you more or less siphon your wort over leaf hops and that wort goes into another vessle.

If I'm reading you correctly, you're confusing a hop back with first wort hopping...

A hop back is simply the container you put your hops in when either dry hopping or first wort hopping.

First wort hopping is when you either add hops to , or run your lautered wort through hops, on the way to the kettlebefore the boil.

If I'm reading you correctly, you're confusing a hop back with first wort hopping...

A hop back is simply the container you put your hops in when either dry hopping or first wort hopping.

First wort hopping is when you either add hops to , or run your lautered wort through hops, on the way to the kettlebefore the boil.

It's actually the container used when running your wort from the kettle to the fermenter. It is usually attached to the spigot, and allows the hot wort to flow through a container of hops before intering a counter flow, or plate style wort chiller.

So my next batch of beer is a trappist ale. This is a big step I think. The question I have is that there are two hop additions: one at the beggining, or 60 min., and one at 0 min. What can "zero" mean? What do I do?

I have a question about this recipe. My experience with trappist ales is that they tend to be aged quite a bit before consumption which seems to make late addition hops or dry hopping kind of ineffective. Am I wrong here?

I have a question about this recipe. My experience with trappist ales is that they tend to be aged quite a bit before consumption which seems to make late addition hops or dry hopping kind of ineffective. Am I wrong here?

I've never aged a beer long enough to make all the hop flavor and aroma drop out. Ot may be because I drink my beers pretty quickly, but I think it would take quite a while before the additions were made ineffective.

I've never aged a beer long enough to make all the hop flavor and aroma drop out. Ot may be because I drink my beers pretty quickly, but I think it would take quite a while before the additions were made ineffective.

Trust me I understand this mentality. I tend to whittle away at my beers so that they rarely get older than a few months. But, I've had Belgian Grand Crus, Barleywines, and Double Stouts that I didn't even bottle until they were 5 months old, and didn't drink until a year out and most of those recipes don't have late hop additions so I was curious about that.

Whether or not late hops additions impart discernible flavor depends on how much of what variety is used and how long the beer is stored. Yes, the chemical flavor precursors tend to dissipate over time, but you can overcome that. I recently had my last bottle of 2001 Barleywine, which was late-hopped; some flavor remained, though aroma was utterly gone. When young, the beer had intense hops character. Over time, that character changed, slowly but perceptibly. Took five years for the aroma hops to disappear, according to my tasting notebook.

Bob

My dry hop addition was weighed in at .3oz. They were supposed to be Saaz, nut all I could get was Styrian Goldings. So, on another note, I'm guessing this beer will not be ready by Christmas.:(

Belgian styles (and most beer) taste much better after a good aging. if you are going to make complex and/or strong beers, i recommend throwing in some session beers, too. i always like a young pale ale on brew day!

there are few greater pleasures in the world than sipping a year old Belgian homebrew...

Belgian styles (and most beer) taste much better after a good aging. if you are going to make complex and/or strong beers, i recommend throwing in some session beers, too. i always like a young pale ale on brew day!

there are few greater pleasures in the world than sipping a year old Belgian homebrew...

Respectfully noted

Back