Seattle water analysis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewedipa

Reaction score
So I've asked this a couple times already, but I just stumbled across a much more in depth water analysis for Seattle and am hoping someone with a little more water chemistry experience can take a look and give me some generalized opinions about the quality, recommendations for salts/treatments, suitable brewing styles, etc. What is the necessity of treatments? Are treatments for all styles necessary, or is the water profile suitable for certain styles without treatment?

http://www.seattle.gov/util/groups/public/@spu/@ssw/documents/webcontent/01_009501.pdf

I believe where I am is serviced by the Cedar watershed, but both Cedar and Tolt seem to have pretty similar numbers.

Pretty good water with low hardness and alkalinity. Well suited to light colored beers. You would need to bump up your calcium content for good clarification and fermentation performance. You may find darker beers come out a bit tart or sharp and adding pickling lime to add alkalinity could be helpful. Download Bru'n Water to learn more about how to use your water and adjust it to your beer style. The link is in my signature line below.

Latest posts

Back