Lavender IPA (water chemistry check)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deBREWler

Reaction score
This weekend will my first water chemistry focused brew day and after inputing my local water analysis into the Brewer's Friend's water calculator I tweaked it until I came up with 5 green stars at the bottom. Like I said, this is my first run at it. I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks.

Here's the recipe with the additions:

Grains
9lbs - Pilot Malt House Michigan Two Row
8oz - Caramel 20L
8oz - Carapils

Water Additives
5g of Gypsum
2g of CaCL
4g of Epsom Salt
4g of NaCL
4ml of Lactic Acid

Estimated Mash pH: 5.4

Boil Additions
0.5oz - Centennial @ First Wort
1oz - Cascade @ 20 min
1oz - Cascade @ 10 min
0.2oz - Dried Lavender @ 2 min
0.2oz - Dried Camomile @ 2 min
1.5oz - Orange Zest @ 2 min
2oz - Citra @ flame out (10 min hop stand)
1oz - Citra @ Dry Hop
1oz - Cascade @ Dry Hop

Yeast
1 packet - US-05

Mash
Sacch’ Rest - 152° F for 60 minutes
Mashout - 170° F for 10 minutes

Fermentation
61° F for ~4 days
70° F until fully attenuated

Here's the description of the brew at a local brewer I'm trying to clone, "Lavender flower and Citra hop aroma entice your senses, leading your palate to a subtly sweet, medium-bodied brew. The orange zest balances the lavender and chamomile flowers allowing not one ingredient to overwhelm your palate. Bitterness is imparted with a long, dry finish, leaving you asking for another sip."

Last edited:
After digging into the Bru'n Water spreadsheet for a while I adjusted the additives above. Like I said, I'm looking for any feedback on this recipe before I brew it over the weekend. Thanks.

Do you have an indication that the recipe uses Maris Otter? Seems you'd want this to be a lighter brew, but maybe I'm off base. Same idea on the caramel 40, is a full pound too much to allow the other delicate flavors to come through? I don't know.

What if you used two row, like 10 oz of caramel 20 and 8-10 oz of cara pils? Also, I think I'd dial the FWH centennial back to .5 oz.

Just some thoughts.

It's funny you ask about the Maris Otter. I just found a fantastic deal on local 2-row and planned on changing the base malt to that. The only reason I went with it is because I saw a few good looking recipes that featured it but those weren't as delicate as this one.

I just researched carapils because I've never brewed with it before and that's definitely a no brainer.

Thanks for the feedback. I made changes to the original post to reflect it.

Back