Water treatment with actic lacid according to London Thames water analysis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sebbb

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've tried to lower my hard London tap water (analysis here: http://twmediadevcdn.azureedge.net/waterquality/WQ Report_Z0140_South Tottenham.pdf ), with lactid lacid to attempt to lower the ph to reach the brewing rage of ph= 5.2-5.5 as my brewer friend analysis suggests according to my lowe colour grist: https://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/?id=FWXB25D

However, when I measured the ph after having poured the recommended amount into my water, my digital ph measurer calculated something like ph= 4.1: already way below

I therefore decided to simply cut my water with some Tesco Ashbeck water which seemed to work in the end, as my tool calculated a ph=5.3 during the mash.

I have to say that due to the lack of Calcium value in the London Thames water report, I simply trusted my friend's suggestion that it was 90 mg/L.

1- Am I missing something in the calculation?
2- Why does the London water report miss Calcium value, knowing it is a crucial factor for water treatment calculation?
3- How differently could I treat my water (to brew light ales)?

Hey guys,

I've tried to lower my hard London tap water (analysis here: http://twmediadevcdn.azureedge.net/waterquality/WQ Report_Z0140_South Tottenham.pdf ), with lactid lacid to attempt to lower the ph to reach the brewing rage of ph= 5.2-5.5 as my brewer friend analysis suggests according to my lowe colour grist: https://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/?id=FWXB25D

However, when I measured the ph after having poured the recommended amount into my water, my digital ph measurer calculated something like ph= 4.1: already way below

I therefore decided to simply cut my water with some Tesco Ashbeck water which seemed to work in the end, as my tool calculated a ph=5.3 during the mash.

I have to say that due to the lack of Calcium value in the London Thames water report, I simply trusted my friend's suggestion that it was 90 mg/L.

1- Am I missing something in the calculation?
2- Why does the London water report miss Calcium value, knowing it is a crucial factor for water treatment calculation?
3- How differently could I treat my water (to brew light ales)?
I use phosphoric acid as I found lactic added a twang to my light beers. Takes a bit more than lactic, actually your dosage rate sounds more like phosphoric than lactic to me. When I was using lactic, a teaspoon (= to 5 ml if memory serves) was enough for 5 gallons, dropping from 6.2ish to 5.4ish.

After acidification, the pH of mashing water is almost certainly well below your target mashing pH BEFORE THE GRAIN IS ADDED. That's because your acidification is being used to neutralize the water's alkalinity and possibly provide an excess of H+ protons for the grist. Acidifying your mashing water to only the desired mashing pH range of 5.2 to 5.6 is not likely to neutralize enough of the alkalinity and it certainly wouldn't leave excess H+ protons for the grist.

Water that is supposed to be used for mashing a pale-colored grist will always have a pH that is lower than the desired mashing pH. Don't worry about water pH!

If the London water report had hardness values, you might be able to infer a true calcium concentration. However, a call to the water provider would likely give you the calcium concentration. If that fails, there are aquarium water test kits for determining calcium and alkalinity content in water.

The other thing to worry about with lactic acid is its taste contribution. For 88% lactic acid, you are likely to taste it in your beer when your dosage exceeds about 1.5 ml per gallon of water (sorry, you'll have to convert). Keeping the dose below 1 ml/gal is even safer. But if your water's alkalinity is high and requires higher dosage, then you're better off employing another form of acid.

Latest posts

Back