Searching for Santiam Rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O.Bond

Reaction score
I'm looking for some Santiam rhizomes to plant and I'm having a hard time sourcing them. Is there anyone on here growing them in Washington state that would be willing to part with a few rhizomes?

Even if they had them, there is a quarantine on hop plants from outside Washington state :(

I have Santium along with several others.
122 to be exact
If there is a quarantine (we just have to figure out where the usda location is and proper paperwork where they hold up the hops to evaluate and route them through there.) Is that for any hops or a protocol that needs to be followed?
Is it prohibited or just a quarantine of agriculture [hops]
Santiam! believe I got mine through these guys.

https://sandyridgefarmsinc.com/hop-shop/

These Folks are Wonderful to work with always friendly and quick to respond to my questions.

They offer some hop varietals that others do not [looking at you Oregon Cluster]

I recieved 5 triumph hops from the just last fall. So excited about this hop. The Triumph hops came in excellent condition.
Better established and much healthier hops then great lakes hops. (Ordered at the same time)
Last 2 orders that came to the GLH farm were damaged due to heat. (My wife gave them explicit instructions on what was needed to ensure they would arrive at the Farm not in a postal holding box. the instructions were ignored and here we are)
We have been working with great Lake hops for 6 years now and have every variety that the offer. It is unfortunate that they were not willing to work with us in replacing these hops.

When asked to replace these hops they did not stand behind their return policy.
This is very Disappointing as we have ordered over 1200 + dollars in their hops in the past. Not to mention promoted their hops with our brew club as well as other home brewers local brew clubs and anyone really who come out to our small hopyard.
(This order alone was in the $300+ range going to a adjacent property for a breeding program)
All of the GLH hops came in the same shape and looked as if someone steamed them in their little plastic bags...

I hope that GLH can regain their good reputation with us by replacing these hops this spring.
I will be reaching out again this spring to GLH in order to give them 1 more opportunity to make this right.
This is not to bad mouth GLH. We have worked with them in past and they have worked with us.
but this is to attempt to show home brewers that they need to be careful of who they deal with as well as tell you about Sandy Ridge (as they do offer hops that a lot of other propagators do not offer.)

Other than that we have Santiam great versatile hope. We have used them in IPAs as well as a hoppy lager last summer.

Our hopyard have a 1/2 acre experimental hop farm in the center of California tucked into the southern Yosemite/ Sierra mountains. We use all the hops we grow in experimental batches as well as production batches up to 2 BBL.

This year we are we are expanding another half acre just for production of hops that not only do well here but have found their way into the majority of the production side of the brewery.

We will be opening up a small micro brewery in our small town of Oakhurst California in hopes to share what this mountain region has to offer to locals and visitors alike,
The Sierra National Forest, Bass Lake and the Yosemite National Park area are some of the places that tourists come to this small community. Over a million cars drive by the building that we are inquiring about.

I am a combat veteran of both the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts upon returning home we started is very small hop yard for a large scale home brewer after famu and friends started sharing our beers a brew club formed. AS our brew club expanded and as we got more members we quickly realized that a larger hop yard and a small micro pub was where this community and this club wanted to go.

I am at this point retiring from my wilderness ranger position I will be managing the brew pub and brewing on a 5 BBL system, and my wife will be managing the hop yard and small farm here in coarsegold.
We will more than likely be signing a lease by the 1st of the month and start build out the taproom and brewery. the county of Madera has already approved our preliminary plans for the location now it's time for the real work of building this brewery out and the dream that many home brewers started to dream as they produce their own beers.

we will be happy to share this project with anybody on this forum as well as launching our own website and social media to share this progress.

We wish everyone well especially those who are willing to get out of their comfort zone and take the 1st steps to living their own dream.
God-bless you all and Cheers to Great beers!

Santiam is no longer on their list of hops. I wonder if there just isn't the demand for it anymore.

I'm pretty sure the USDA clean plant center for hops is in Washington. I actually looked at their listings before posting here and didn't see Santiam listed. Tettnanger is though, which seems odd, since santiam basically is a higher yielding version.

Homebrewing.org has them listed, but not for sale. I asked them if they were going to carry them for the 2020 season and they said most likely not. The only place I found them for sale was from a Canadian supplier, but shipping plant material across the border is a no-go.

However, after digging deeper into the WA state regulations, hop material from Oregon or Idaho is allowed to be brought into the state, which opens up the pool a bit more.

Homebrewing.org has them listed, but not for sale. I asked them if they were going to carry them for the 2020 season and they said most likely not. The only place I found them for sale was from a Canadian supplier, but shipping plant material across the border is a no-go.

However, after digging deeper into the WA state regulations, hop material from Oregon or Idaho is allowed to be brought into the state, which opens up the pool a bit more.

Where in Canada if you don’t mind?

@bonecitybrewco Clear Valley Hops Plantation, Ontario, Canada

@Sierra brew club , I'll check in with fresh hops in February. I got the impression from their website that they weren't doing rhizomes. I didn't realize they were closed until February 10. Thanks for bringing that to my attention

I emailed the Clean Plant Center and received this reply:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Our Santiam is currently in the clean up process and we’re expecting to have it released later this year. That will unfortunately means very limited, if any, plant material availability this season. We could expect to produce decent amount of green shoots in 2021. At this time we do not offer any rhizome or dormant parts of hop plants, the only option is a 4-5 node green, unrooted shoot that needs to be established by the purchaser.

Please feel free to check back with me later this spring. I should have more details to share then.

Regards,

I have had very good luck getting shoots to root from fresh cuttings. Just stuck them in some rock wool cubes and had roots in about a week to 10days.

How many seasons until you got a good harvest? Something tells me it would still be 2022 before I'd get a significant harvest.

It would be 2022 before they produced a normal amount, about half the second summer. I had some cascade that produced pretty well the second season but I think they are a bit more robust.

Rhizomes don't really save time, they still have to get rooted and grow.

I'll probably have Santiam this year. We'll see how the importation processes go.

Back