Sealing a false bottom with latex tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellaDog

Reaction score
I've been trying to seal my false bottom. I tried vinyl tubing cut length wise and wrapped around the false bottom but the was not a great seal. Latex tubing feels like it would make a great seal but was curious on anyone else's thoughts or ideas on how to seal the false bottom.

Are you recirculating the mash? I once had a concern about sealing the false bottom with a silicon gasket. I recirculate and don't have an issue without a gasket

Are you recirculating the mash? I once had a concern about sealing the false bottom with a silicon gasket. I recirculate and don't have an issue without a gasket

Yes and no matter how much I recirculate it never comes out clear. It seems that the false bottom doesn't sit quite as flush as I'd like in the bottom of my cooler mash tun.

I've been trying to seal my false bottom. I tried vinyl tubing cut length wise and wrapped around the false bottom but the was not a great seal. Latex tubing feels like it would make a great seal but was curious on anyone else's thoughts or ideas on how to seal the false bottom.

I used silicone tubing on one of my old false bottoms with success to make a seal around the edge. I would avoid latex tubing. I would be worried about serving my beer accidentally to some one with a latex allergy.

I agree with Brad2288. I used 5/16 ID silicone tubing, but other sizes should work just as well. To split the tubing, I used this method: <http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q2OzraoxRE> I "stitched" the two ends of the tubing to the false bottom with some thin gauge SS wire. But before doing all that, you might want to try some creative bending of your FB so that it makes better contact with the MT all the way around the perimeter. I followed poor experimentation practice and bent my FB for improved fit AND added the tubing at the same time, so who's to say which change fixed my stuck mash problem?

I bought a discount false bottom which was out of spec, so it left a 2mm gap with the pot wall. I bought some silicon tube from a medical supplier and cut it to a fitting size. To keep it together, I cut a wooden chopstick and used it as a link between both ends of the tube. It fits nicely and provides an excelent seal, it stays on place until I clean the mashed grain, forcing me to remove it before taking out the false bottom.

Back