Seal-a-Meal Vacuum Sealer is total crap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
Saw this old thread but didn't want to bump it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=137044

I've used a vacuum sealer for years. The first one I got lasted years and years. When it finally shat the bed, I got a seal-a-meal. It was great, but lasted about 6 months. The heat strip goes bad and won't seal bags.

So I contacted Jarden and they sent me a new one, told me to toss the broken one. That new one lasted less than six months as well. Same issue, heat sealing strip.

Long story short, between my parents and me, we have gone through upwards of six (6) of these within a span of two years. The most recent one I got as a replacement (shipped May 19) just crapped the bed this week. So this one lasted about two months.

Such a pain in the ace. I mean, it's great they keep sending me new ones for free. But it really goes to show how cheaply made they are that they just tell me to throw the broken one in the trash. Hell, I could be scamming them and they would have no idea. However, I assure you this is no scam.

I'm hoping that this is a bad batch of heat strips they got and they're just trying to get all of them out of the stream of commerce. I'm too skittish to buy a pricier one for fear it'll just sheet the bed as well.

Anyone have any similar experiences?

I have a Vacuum Saver that is still going strong at 10 - 15 years. I have used it more in the last few years than the first 5-7 years. (Since beginning storing hops)

Buy the no-name brand for less and you get what you pay for. Sometimes it works out well, others, not so much.

I advocate buying whichever FoodSaver model is on the rock-bottom sale that day.
No need for the fancy/pricey models - which usually include stuff you'll never use.
I don't recall anyone knocking that brand, and I've been bagging between 5 to 12 pounds of home-grown hops for the last five years with mine...

Cheers!

Saw this old thread but didn't want to bump it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=137044

I've used a vacuum sealer for years. The first one I got lasted years and years. When it finally shat the bed, I got a seal-a-meal. It was great, but lasted about 6 months. The heat strip goes bad and won't seal bags.

So I contacted Jarden and they sent me a new one, told me to toss the broken one. That new one lasted less than six months as well. Same issue, heat sealing strip.

Long story short, between my parents and me, we have gone through upwards of six (6) of these within a span of two years. The most recent one I got as a replacement (shipped May 19) just crapped the bed this week. So this one lasted about two months.

Such a pain in the ace. I mean, it's great they keep sending me new ones for free. But it really goes to show how cheaply made they are that they just tell me to throw the broken one in the trash. Hell, I could be scamming them and they would have no idea. However, I assure you this is no scam.

I'm hoping that this is a bad batch of heat strips they got and they're just trying to get all of them out of the stream of commerce. I'm too skittish to buy a pricier one for fear it'll just sheet the bed as well.

Anyone have any similar experiences?

Mine is 1 year old and works just fine. I use it quite a bit, weekly or so.
For $30 purchase, this is pretty good, even if I have to buy a new one every couple of years or so.

Mine is 1 year old and works just fine. I use it quite a bit, weekly or so.
For $30 purchase, this is pretty good, even if I have to buy a new one every couple of years or so.

same here...i've sealed over 100 bags without issue.

I advocate buying whichever FoodSaver model is on the rock-bottom sale that day.
No need for the fancy/pricey models - which usually include stuff you'll never use.
I don't recall anyone knocking that brand, and I've been bagging between 5 to 12 pounds of home-grown hops for the last five years with mine...

Cheers!

Ding Ding Ding!!! This is sound advice!!

The FoodSaver! I cannot say enough good things about their sealers. I have one that is at least 12 years old, has been heavily used, and the only part that has failed was the foam gasket. The company still sells replacements parts for my model btw :rockin: . Every summer I blanch and freeze most of the fresh veggies my family eats throughout the year, I portion n vac seal meat bought in bulk, seal n freeze leftovers, and package bulk + homegrown hops. If it were to die today it owes me nothing and I would not even look at another brand.

If you are afraid to buy a new one hit up a thrift store. I have seen used FoodSaver vac sealers at the salvation army and a few other places for $10 or less.

I've had a cheap, 50-odd-dollar Seal-a-Meal since 2004 that has worked just fine. I use it at least every year butchering deer, and at other times throughout the year. It always seals tight and it always stays sealed until I open it.

I'm not trying to be a smartarse, but it might be operator error. The key, in my experience, is always waiting until the light goes out after sealing to release it. It also helps a lot to wrap whatever you are sealing (such a s a deer roast) in saran wrap first, before sealing.

You guys do realize that Jarden makes both Seal-A-Meal and FoodSaver models, right? The FoodSavers typically are higher end, but in my personal experience are no better than the higher end Seal-A-Meals...

I would venture to guess the internals, like the vacuum pump is identical...

My first foodsaver lasted 22 years, second one 3 years, one I have now is a PITA because it puts to much pressure on the bags and when the seal bar is hot the bags deform enough to keep it from pulling a vacuum. Next one will be a higher end sealer...

Now mine do get a VERY heavy workout. I garden and a lot of the produce ends up being frozen in pint bags. It is nothing to seal a dozen bags a day this time of year... when tomatoes come in some will get frozen whole for use in soups and stews and spaghetti sauce, some canned as sauce(I do have limited freezer space!), some canned as halves or whole...

I had to repair the sealing strip on my Seal-a-Meal with teflon tape. It worked again for a while, but never *quite* the same. Finally I could not get it to draw a vacuum. I had that thing apart and checked all the hoses and everything for leaks, but it still wouldn't suck air out of the bag.

I grabbed my grandma's old FoodSaver and had no problems with it. When the seal-a-meal was working it was great. It just didn't last very long. I mostly used it a bit in the fall during hop harvest.

The Foodsaver isn't as fancy, but at least it's been working.

FoodSaver is the way to go. Had my first one for 18 years before the little pump finally crapped out. But I use it for blanching vegetables, as I grow most of mine, dividing up meat from Costco and Sam's, resealing hops, as I buy hops in 1 lb packages, sealing any leftover grains to keep them fresh.

Three years ago I needed to buy a new one and did not hesitate to buy another FoodSaver model V2222. These things are like the energizer bunny, they keep on going, and going, and going...

I'm not trying to be a smartarse, but it might be operator error. The key, in my experience, is always waiting until the light goes out after sealing to release it. It also helps a lot to wrap whatever you are sealing (such a s a deer roast) in saran wrap first, before sealing.
Yeah, definitely not operator error. The hands free light won't even come on because the heat strip won't get hot. You push down and it just buzzes and buzzes and sucks and nothing happens until I eventually take my hands off, it stops sucking, and I touch the heat strip and it's cold as when I first pulled it out the cabinet. Not to mention my parents AND me have had these problems with different units.

I had to repair the sealing strip on my Seal-a-Meal with teflon tape. It worked again for a while, but never *quite* the same. Finally I could not get it to draw a vacuum. I had that thing apart and checked all the hoses and everything for leaks, but it still wouldn't suck air out of the bag.

I grabbed my grandma's old FoodSaver and had no problems with it. When the seal-a-meal was working it was great. It just didn't last very long. I mostly used it a bit in the fall during hop harvest.

The Foodsaver isn't as fancy, but at least it's been working.
So glad you chimed in! I saw your thread originally and was wondering how your DIY fix was working out. Sounds like in the end it's not worth it. I guess as long as Jarden wants to keep sending me new ones for free, I'll take em. It's just a PITA.

So glad you chimed in! I saw your thread originally and was wondering how your DIY fix was working out. Sounds like in the end it's not worth it. I guess as long as Jarden wants to keep sending me new ones for free, I'll take em. It's just a PITA.

Yeah, my problem was the coating on the strip burned through. I bought a roll of tape from McMaster I think, and covered that spot.

Honestly, I'd go FoodSaver now. I think Rival bought them out a while back, but from what I've read they seem to make a more durable product.

Rival wouldn't even sell me a replacement strip. They told me to buy a new sealer. Yeah right!

Yeah, my problem was the coating on the strip burned through. I bought a roll of tape from McMaster I think, and covered that spot.

Honestly, I'd go FoodSaver now. I think Rival bought them out a while back, but from what I've read they seem to make a more durable product.

Rival wouldn't even sell me a replacement strip. They told me to buy a new sealer. Yeah right!
I'll get a Foodsaver eventually. Just got too much other stuff (mostly homebrewing) taking priority in my finances right now!

Timely thread as hop harvest time is approaching and I'm in the market for a new vacuum sealer.

The foodsaver I have now was a hand-me-down from the inlaws. No idea how long they had it. Last few years it's been really inconsistent drawing a vacuum. The sealing foam is worn and deteriorated.

My foodsaver is At least 15 years old and still working great! It has a little problem with the foam seals each time I begin using it but I have figured out that putting a little star san on the foam to moisten it before use is the fix.

Reading this with the TV on. Guess what!! A Food Saver ad!

I work in a paint department. Had a customer complain that his paint didn't cover well. I departed from approved customer service and commented "well you did buy the cheapest paint we sell....."

Back