Screwed up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisM66

Reaction score
I made a major mistake. I pitched my WLP720 yeast immediately after adding Campden to my 5gal. of must, to kill off the wild yeasts. Now fermenting stopped. I tried agitating the must, but not seeing any action. It has been about 24hrs. now. should I wait a little longer? To see if it starts up or did I kill it all off? I am such a dumb a**. What do I need to do to remedy this. Please help, I'm new at this. :confused:

Ain't no big thing. We've all had brain cramps like that. Just pitch another packet or vial. The effects of the Campden will be over by now, so it's safe to pitch. Just to be sure, though, leave your fermenter opening covered with mesh or cheese cloth to be sure the metabisulfite is dissipated. Then leave the mesh over the opening during primary fermentation so the yeast has access to oxygen so it can reproduce. Once fermentation is nearly complete, you can put an airlock on the vessel. No harm, no foul (excepting the cost of more yeast).

Latest posts

Back