screwed up a ton

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjtski

Reaction score
So yesterday was my first all grain 5 gal. To summerize, my thermometer was innacurate (reading 110 @ 70 f), chances are I mashed way too high, my auto siphon broke, suctioned by mouth like an idiot, got an og of 1.035 when I was looking for 1.045, and only ended up with 4 gal, added 1 gal or so of unboiled water and forgot to take another gravity.

So, are the chances pretty good I'm ending up with a 1% abv infected light lambic instead of a delicious esb?

My sanitation went to **** when the autosiphon broke during initial sanitizing and I went into a panic (no rdwhah here).

Any idea why my volume was so low? Thinking I had a crap sparge (bag in a bucket) and I boiled/mashed too hot. Guess ill have to build a zaptap double bucket lauter.

Ill need a brew to get over this, but chances are it won't be my own.

Oh, you'll probably be surprised with the beer. I don't think it will come out that bad. Might be a tad weak. If you really want to stick to all grain, you should invest in a cooler for the MLT IMO. You can get by with bucket deal, but your efficency will be lower and when you think about it, you're only looking at $30 - $40 bucks to put together a cooler with a SS hose braid (and that's if you don't already have a cooler). Throw in another $30 and you could install a DIY manifold. I use the braid myself, it was wicked easy to make.

I siphon by mouth all the time, but I use a T fitting and a reasonable length of tubing so my mouth is never close to the liquid. There are also sanitary ways to siphon with a single length of tubing and a clamp.
Just something to keep in the back of your mind for next time.

I sure as heck wouldn't dump it. So maybe it's a little light, and you keep it until next summer when you want something light to slam a few. Cook with it, whatever, just don't let your work go to waste unless it really puckers you to drink it.

On my first AG, my thermometer read high, so I mashed waaay too low. It was dry as hell, but tolerable, if only because I made it. The second batch was so much better, I ended up dumping the last 10 bottles of the first one. Brew and learn.

Ya ill drink it, because hey, 1% beats 0%. And ill know better next time. Next brew scheduled for mid october. Also possibly a mead in oct. Gonna buy anoter auto siphon and be a bit more gentle.

Anyone have any feedback on a zaptap?

Definitely do not pitch it -- yea -- it might be a low abv, but what the heck.

Do as BBL_Brewer says -- build yourself a MLT out of a 10 gallon cooler.
There are great posts on this forum on how to build one.

Might be a good time to check Home Depot / Lowes / ACE Hardware for a 10 gallon round cooler. If they have any on the shelves -- they might be on sale since Summer is almost over. I bought mine from ACE online for $49 -- shipped free to one of their stores. Who knows -- you might be able to pick one up for less.

my 2 cents....forget the 5 gallon batches..it takes just as long to do 5 as it does 10 gallons.....we have all done some really wrong things and yet the vast majority of the time it will be drinkable! I buy yeast for a 5 gallon batch, but i make a starter and double the ingredients so I have a 10 gallon starter...2 six gallon plastic pails work just fine for fermenting.

For a mash tun, go on line to Walmart and order (unless found in stock) a 70 quart Coleman extreme cooler without the wheels..I can do 26 pounds of grain and 10 1/2 gallons of water and still have room .

I also purchased ten foot length of 1/2 inch copper tubing, some 90 elbows and made my "false bottom" for lack of another term...for the mash tun.....I use a second 48 qt cooler for fly sparging.....if you would like photo's, let me know...once you go all grain there is no going back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..cheers, Scotty

Can anyone pm me some plans to a cooler mlt for 5 gal? I was thinking about doing it but wasn't really sure about it. Thought the system I'm using would be fine and I wouldn't need anymore equipment but my sparge turned into a complete mess.

Still looking for opinions on a zaptap type system.

I'd do the 10 gallon cooler MLT.
U won't be able to do high gravity beers with 5 gallon.

Built myself a 10 Gal round mlt using the plans on the forum. It was almost $80 but it was worth it. That plus beersmith made my life infinitely better.

Back