Screen false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've done some reading about false bottoms vs manifolds and am leaning towards a false bottom. Has anyone used a screen vs a sheet with perforations? I would assume that if the spacing in the screen holes is small enough not to let large grains through but not so small that pressure in the tun is required to drain, it would work decently. I'm also assuming that enough surface area total (nearly the area of the bottom of the tun) would be helpful.

But I've made assumptions before that caused less than desirable results. So I figured I would ask here.

Thanks!

Nic

...I guess another good question would be what is the largest size holes that should be made in whatever method I use? Would 1/16" diameter holes allow a lot of particles through?

Depends on the grain crush size. I do know that the NorCal false bottoms are "3/32" holes on 5/32"centers. Heavy-duty 16-guage stainless steel." If you can buy a sheet of that stock large enough to make a false bottom, you're probably better off just getting one already made. I would just get one from them [NorCal] that works properly with your intended mash tun. I have one in my keggle mash tun and love it.

If you can wait, enter their drawing for a free one. :rockin:

BTW, I don't think a 'screen' will be strong enough to hold up the weight of the grain above it.

I just replaced my screen FB with a NorCal "JayBird" custom folding - haven't brewed yet but know that I will be happy. I brew RIMs direct fire using a first generation Sabco mash tun I purchased in the 90's. This came with a SS screen rimmed by an extruded plastic edge (auto door trim?). The original Sabco design has a series of pins welded to the side of the keg interior and a dip tube that sits below the screen, providing a lot of support. Over time, I had to keep rebuilding the edge due to several screen failures while mashing with big beers (lots of weight on the screen) - a major pain in the butt to recover. Problem was I needed a 15 3/8" diameter - new Sabco screens are 15" and I didn't want to use another edge to fill the gap. Sabco wanted to sell me a new mash tun - nice, but $$$. Then I found NorCal through this forum. Nuff said. Take a look at the pics. Great price for the quality, service, and speedy turnaround. (I added my own handle as I wanted to be able to lift the screen as close to the hinge centerline as I could - makes it really easy to get it up and out)

Cheers.

image-2361504575.jpg

image-1256357586.jpg

image-3158664945.jpg

Just a note on the pics: The shadow's make the gap look big - in actuality the gap is smaller than the diameter of the holes (> 0.090"). The holes in the screen are 3/32 (0.094"). Sabco 1st gen were built using reconditioned kegs - that's why you see the dings and dents... JayBird delivered a FB with a diameter within 0.030" of requested size - you will be hard pressed to duplicate that on your own or with a custom fab shop unless you spend significantly more than what they charge. As stated earlier in this thread - they rock.

image-2947205424.jpg

I can't say enough good/great things about the false bottom I got from NorCal/Jaybird. I got the one with the hole, hinge and handle on it sized for my 1/2 barrel sanke keg mash tun. It sits at the top of the bottom cone, and seals real nice. Zero issues using it.

I've even gotten one of the stands they offer under it now. :rockin: Even though those were unavailable via the web site, Jay cranked one out for me (that sounds so wrong :eek:) on a Saturday and I had it that Monday. :ban:

I've entered to get a 'free' one... Even if I don't score a free one, I'm looking to get another soon. Thinking about building a second keggle mash tun (for the bigger brews)... :D

Back