Scratched bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocBrown

Reaction score
Hello,
Well, I've only managed to get through one batch so far and my buckets are already scratched (both of them). :mad: I was cleaning them out with an extra bottle brush we had (too big to fit in beer bottles) that appeared to have a nice padded tip. Come to find out, there was a nice sharp metal edge at the end of it. I keep reading about scratches harboring various nasties. Are these completely toast now? It seems that there would be plenty of other places for things to grow in the threads and around the edges of the spigot. Am I likely to have any luck sanding the scratches out or soaking the bottom of the pails in a strong oxyclean or bleach solution prior to brewing?

Thanks,
JB

Hello,
Well, I've only managed to get through one batch so far and my buckets are already scratched (both of them). :mad: I was cleaning them out with an extra bottle brush we had (too big to fit in beer bottles) that appeared to have a nice padded tip. Come to find out, there was a nice sharp metal edge at the end of it. I keep reading about scratches harboring various nasties. Are these completely toast now? It seems that there would be plenty of other places for things to grow in the threads and around the edges of the spigot. Am I likely to have any luck sanding the scratches out or soaking the bottom of the pails in a strong oxyclean or bleach solution prior to brewing?

Thanks,
JB

Personally, I wouldn't throw away a bucket over one scratch. I know when you read stuff online about brewing, it can get you worrying. Just about anything can cause an infection, and any problem is blamed on an infection. I don't think infections are nearly as likely as some make it seem. Yes, you should try to avoid scratching your fermenter, but one scratch isn't going to make your batch infected.

In the future don't use a brush on your buckets. Here's a tip. Clean all your equipment the same day. I know it's hard. You've been working on your beer. Your tired. You just want to relax and have a homebrew. I've found that if I clean up right away, no scrubbing is necessary -- no matter how gross it looks. I use a wash cloth on my fermenter and with my carboy I just put soapy water in it and shake -- no carboy brush necessary.

+1 on same day clean up.

I know it sucks at the time, but it is so worth not having to clean it the next day after its had time to set in and hang on for dear life.

for the scratch you can scrap the edge clean. then use a hot air tip on a butain solder iron to clean it up. just dont hold it in one place. move it and let it cool and see if its smooth. if not hit it again for a couple seconds.

Personally, I wouldn't throw away a bucket over one scratch. I know when you read stuff online about brewing, it can get you worrying. Just about anything can cause an infection, and any problem is blamed on an infection. I don't think infections are nearly as likely as some make it seem. Yes, you should try to avoid scratching your fermenter, but one scratch isn't going to make your batch infected.

In the future don't use a brush on your buckets. Here's a tip. Clean all your equipment the same day. I know it's hard. You've been working on your beer. Your tired. You just want to relax and have a homebrew. I've found that if I clean up right away, no scrubbing is necessary -- no matter how gross it looks. I use a wash cloth on my fermenter and with my carboy I just put soapy water in it and shake -- no carboy brush necessary.

THIS. The brushes that came with my kit have never been used. I clean anything IMMEDIATELY after it's been used. On buckets, I clean with dishwashing detergent and a sponge, rinse thoroughly, then sanitize before I dump the next batch of wort in. Carboys are cleaned with PBW, mixed per directions in warm water, then sanitized with Star San.

I'd risk it. It might be fine. From now on, if you must scrub a bucket, only use a sponge. There should be no need for anything like brushes of scrub pads. Of course you'll want to clean as soon as possible and I'd sanitize directly after using and cleaning, then sanitize again just before use. Should be fine.

Latest posts

Back