Scratched bottling bucket... discard?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackBearForge

Reaction score
So, in a little over two weeks I'll be bottling my first batch of beer. On brew day I used my bottling bucket for sanitizing a few items and discovered it had a big black scratch inside it (caused by a pen perhaps?). I honestly don't know if it was there when I bought it as the kit was all boxed up and it's possible I did it somehow, however after soaking in Star San the "black" in the scratch disappeared (yes, first time I was definitely using too much sanitizer, I had mixed up a five gallon batch! lol).

Will there always be a fear this scratch could be harboring "nasties" even after sanitizing? Eh, buckets are cheap I should probably just buy a new one and dedicate it for bottling and nothing else.

I have scratches in two of my fermentor buckets, both of which are around 5-6 years old. I've never had an infected batch. Just make sure your sanitation practices are sound and you'll be fine.

I retired my original "Ale Pail" after two years....but my reason was otherwise. I wanted buckets with more headspace, and that's what I brew in now. I am careful never to stack them to avoid scratching. While I've never seen any actual evidence presented for scratched buckets causing infections, it seems plausible and suitable precautions seem only prudent. My original bucket now catches the grist from my mill....

I was always told not to use a bucket with a scratch. Although you can probably use it without a problem, if you do get one you will be pissed. Wild bacteria can cause an infection and sit in the crack even if you santize. For the price, I would just get a new one.

If you really want to be anal about it, you can sanitize with bleach to make sure everything hiding away in the scratch is dead. And even then, something could possibly be hiding way down there if its deep enough. Slash and burn, try it out, but be forewarned that creepies can hold down a fort if given the means to do so.

I have a hand-me-down bucket that is 10+ years old. Numerous scratches. Literally too many to count. Never had a bad batch, ever. Good sanitizing practices work wonders.

Thanks for the advice everyone. The personal experiences with old buckets are particularly enlightening and I feel more comfortable now if I decide to use this bucket (after all it hasn't been used for anything else and it received at least a two hour soak in Star San). I'm beginning to suspect that most fears related to homebrewing are unfounded as long as some basic but thorough sanitation practices are followed.

This Sunday will mark two weeks my pale ale has been in the carboy and then, if I can be patient enough, just two more weeks after that until bottling! After reading the numerous (and convincing) threads on the advantages of leaving the beer in the primary until bottling time I've decided to take that route myself as well. :mug:

Mine came with scratches in it too. 4 batches so far so good!

Everyone's bucket came with scratches in it. They are just usually microscopic or so small that they don't cause people to worry. That's whay we sanitize well.

I'm beginning to suspect that most fears related to homebrewing are unfounded as long as some basic but thorough sanitation practices are followed.

Pretty much.

I was always told not to use a bucket with a scratch.

That gets communicated on this (and I assume other boards) quite often. But even if the scratches came from a shared needle from a Venice Beach hooker it can likely be sanitized.

The only real worry I would have about scratches is if the scratch can not be cleaned before sanitizing.

Well, this might be the wrong place or time for this question, but I'm a noob and I've been on here for hours trying to find an answer.

I have friend who brews quite a bit and he's gotten me interested in it. We have done two extract batches here in my basement and the first came out fairly well. We have also done a mead and a dandelion wine. Anyway, my question...

He claims that small black indelible spots in the fermentation bucket can spoil the beer. He said sometimes they can be removed by placing a rag with hot water on it and letting it sit.

I was getting ready to try a weizenbock on my own when low and behold, I noticed my ale pail had a few small black spots embedded in the plastic. So I went to the LHBS and got a new one.

Tonight I was getting ready to brew and I found another spot on the lid, and on further inspection can see a few in my brand spandy new fermentation bucket. Needless to say my first thought was WTF!!!

I tried his hot rag method, detergent and my thumb, flicking it with my thumb nail and a short soak in bleach. It's still there.

So, these spots are very dark in color, very small (10ths of a millimeter), very few in number, and appear to be embedded in the plastic. They ARE NOT located in the bottom of a scratch, and there don't appear to be any visible scratches in the vicinity.

Will these specks taint/spoil the beer? or are a few of these specks common to the white plastic brew buckets? I don't have a lot of money to throw at finding immaculate buckets, but I also don't want to sewer 50 or 60 bucks worth of malt and hops.

Any one have an opinion or guidance?

Well, this might be the wrong place or time for this question, but I'm a noob and I've been on here for hours trying to find an answer.

I have friend who brews quite a bit and he's gotten me interested in it. We have done two extract batches here in my basement and the first came out fairly well. We have also done a mead and a dandelion wine. Anyway, my question...

He claims that small black indelible spots in the fermentation bucket can spoil the beer. He said sometimes they can be removed by placing a rag with hot water on it and letting it sit.

I was getting ready to try a weizenbock on my own when low and behold, I noticed my ale pail had a few small black spots embedded in the plastic. So I went to the LHBS and got a new one.

Tonight I was getting ready to brew and I found another spot on the lid, and on further inspection can see a few in my brand spandy new fermentation bucket. Needless to say my first thought was WTF!!!

I tried his hot rag method, detergent and my thumb, flicking it with my thumb nail and a short soak in bleach. It's still there.

So, these spots are very dark in color, very small (10ths of a millimeter), very few in number, and appear to be embedded in the plastic. They ARE NOT located in the bottom of a scratch, and there don't appear to be any visible scratches in the vicinity.

Will these specks taint/spoil the beer? or are a few of these specks common to the white plastic brew buckets? I don't have a lot of money to throw at finding immaculate buckets, but I also don't want to sewer 50 or 60 bucks worth of malt and hops.

Any one have an opinion or guidance?

don't worry about it. first: a rag soaked in hot water will do nothing to "sanitize" anything that will ruin beer. second: as everyone else here said, good sanitizing practices will remove worries. if bleach doesn't remove the spot, then it's not something that will ruin the beer anyway. i sanitize with iodophor, but every once in a while i soak my 5g fermenters in bleach (about 2-3 ounces at most in 5g water). never had an infected batch yet.

Buckets will become stained with use; I've learned not to worry about that, after soaking my first "Ale Pail" several times to remove the stains.....they just come right back.

I wash / clean the buckets immediately after use with a plain old dishwashing liquid like Dawn or Palmolive. I rinse thoroughly and put the bucket away until the next use. Yes, the bucket will still smell of hops, but so does beer, right?

When storing buckets, I do not nest them to avoid scratching the interior.

When brewing another batch I spray the inside of the bucket and lid with a Star San solution in a spray bottle.

I have brewed for three years, and make around 15 batches a year, and have had no problems.

I use bleach to clear plastic bucket after primary fermentation is done - very convenient - soak it for half hour krausen and all and it comes off very easy with soft cloth.

I have few scartches in buckets as well, so far so good, just making sure my sanitizer gets to them plenty.

Those buckets are HDPE and can withstand 230°F continuously. If you're really worried about it, dump a gallon or two of boiling water in and put the lid on. The steam bath combined with a StarSan treatment should leave it pretty well sanitized.

I've a bucket or two that have 'character'. Darkened over time due to use. Small scratches and all..... use bleach if in doubt. I've used these since... well since the late 80's. They are in rotation, but I don't worry about them. I've heard the scaremongering and the horror stories, but really, if the bleach can't get to the baddies... neither can the wort.

If in doubt, use them as sanitizing buckets or some other use.... this hobby is about relaxation. If you cannot be relaxed about using a bucket, then by all means, don't use it. Personally, I would use it. If your sanitation procedures are worth their salt, you'll bee more than fine.

Back