Scottish yeast blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeHoffman

Reaction score
I'm thinking of combining 1 pack of wyeast scottish ale yeast with a couple packs of us 05 to get my yeast count up without doing a starter for this big 1.099 OG Scottish. Any thoughts on how this might turn out?

Pleas excuse my dyslexia

What temp do you intend to ferment at?

I ferment the Scottish ale yeast in the low to mid 50s. I doubt the US-05 would stay active at that temp so their numbers wouldn't really matter. If you're going to ferment in the upper 60's I'd just forget about the Scottish ale yeast.

You've got at least 4x as much US-05 as you have Scottish ale yeast. I'd forget the starter and just pitch the US-05.

On the other hand, if you really want the Scottish ale yeast character I would not blend it. Make a small starter and step it up with a second larger starter.

From my experience...Scottish ale is a pretty slow starter and 05 is pretty quick. Don't be surprised if 05 complete takes over leaving very little in terms of Scottish characteristics

Back