Scottish 80/- recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy, thought I'd provide an update on my version of your beer. After two weeks in the keg, it has really begun to shine. The initial watery mouthfeel is gone, and it's a full, flavorful ale. It's still a little more hoppy/bitter than I'd like, but still very good and drinkable. At about 5.2%, I can drink more than one without getting too loopy. As you can see from the comparison of mine and the latest Zymurgy write up on Scottish Ales, it looks pretty darn close. Thanks again for the inspiration. Ed
:mug:

2017-06-24 14_40_32-Zymurgy July_August 2017.jpg

Scottish Ale2.jpg

Looks pretty awesome. My last attempt at a Scottish export was rather tinny, not enough deep malt character and mouthfeel was thin for the style I felt. Its one of the most difficult styles to get right from my experience but you sir seem to have nailed it! Sláinte! :tank:

This is my eighty shilling, it looks good but the taste is far too thin for a Scottish style beer. Only drinking it because I am out of C02 :)

Msk_chess_heavy.png

Andy, thought I'd provide an update on my version of your beer. After two weeks in the keg, it has really begun to shine. The initial watery mouthfeel is gone, and it's a full, flavorful ale. It's still a little more hoppy/bitter than I'd like, but still very good and drinkable. At about 5.2%, I can drink more than one without getting too loopy. As you can see from the comparison of mine and the latest Zymurgy write up on Scottish Ales, it looks pretty darn close. Thanks again for the inspiration. Ed
:mug:

That one of the best looking ales I've ever seen and from your write-up I think I might re-adapt your recipe slightly myself into an ESB later in the year.

Back