Scored deal on Craigslist today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkkrad

Reaction score
Scored a Great deal today! Came with a Precise Heat 42qt. Kettle. The quality of this thing is great! Also a 5 gallon carboy, buckets and a box full of misc. brewing stuff all for $50.00. I just started brewing and needed a stainless kettle and now I have enough carboys to have a couple batches going at the same time.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397178257.300757.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1397178278.114112.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1397178312.157119.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Nice find. Just make sure you clean and sanitize everything.

What's the diameter on that kettle? 45 cm? You're likely to find that you'll have a high boil-off rate with that kettle, I'd guess 2 gallons/hour with a moderate boil. That's not necessarily a huge issue, but you'll want to figure it out before you start using it to brew so you know how much water to start your boil with.

Otherwise, nice score. I always check these Craigslist deal threads when they come up, and I'm always depressed when I see the sweet deals I'm missing out on living in China. 58.com just isn't the same...

I spent a couple hours scrubbing and sanitizing everthing. As for the diameter nit sure bur thanks for the tip. Being nrw to brewing thats the kind of things I want to learn.

So once I figut out the boil off should I start right off boiling with that exra amount in the pot?

You can also top it off to your target volume/OG.

If you are strict about your water profile, topping it with distilled will have the same effect as getting your target boil-off.

Some people avoid wide pots, but they take the flame more efficiently. Call it a bonus. If you have a gas stove, it will sit perfectly over two burners for indoor boils.

Back