SCORE!! Anybody using sankeys as fermentors??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevo2569

Reaction score
Ive seen other threads like this and like others I'm siked and had to share. 4 ballocks, a 5lb CO2(with some gas), beverage factory regulator, 3 full size kegs and two halves (I don't know). All for $255. Anybody using 15.5 G sankeys as fermentors? How are you attaching airlocks?

I do not use the full size kegs but I do use the slims to ferment in. You can get a stopper from any home brew shop I forgot the number, but it fits perfect. All you have to do is remove the stem and then insert the stopper and airlock. Works like a charm. Here is a picture of one of my kegs that is currently being used as a fermentor.
keg.jpg

A couple pics. I don't really need another grill. Any ideas for the two halves?

image-1079976729.jpg

image-3727404870.jpg

They work great as fermentors, just take out the valve and riser and insert the large size bung and airlock. The fine threads in the neck don't seem to be a problem at all.

Heat up an orange "carboy cap" in some hot water and it will fit. Then use a racking cane on one side of the cap and a lil c02 pressure on the other and you will never have to siphon again.

Soulrebel said:
Heat up an orange "carboy cap" in some hot water and it will fit. Then use a racking cane on one side of the cap and a lil c02 pressure on the other and you will never have to siphon again.

That's sounds great. How are you attaching the CO2?

I just jam the hose over the nipple. Only takes a couple psi to start the siphon, then remove the hose. Or you can keep the closed system, by using more co2.

What's it like to clean them? Seems like it would bs harder than a carboy since you can't see inside easily.

so if you fermented in the keg would you be able to put the valve back in and then just pressurize it?

You could put I wouldnt do that. You have all the yeast and trub on the bottom, then you have all the krausen on the sides. It would be one messy beer.

What's it like to clean them? Seems like it would bs harder than a carboy since you can't see inside easily.

You cant see in them so much, but you can just clean the hell out of them the first time, then I am just careful to never let it get dry. The moment I empty it i rinse it out well and begin to soak in PBW. Havent had a problem up to now.

I bought one of these from Derrin @ Brewershardware.com. It's a triclover clamp with adjustable racking cane, thermowell, and blowoff tube combined. It's well worth the money, IMO.

2011-07-07_21-12-25_569.jpg

Didnt look but, what if you rigged a ball valve to the bung hole. and cut a new bung hole in the bottom, flipped it on a welded stand. Wouldnt that work just like the 100's of dollars conicals??
BTW Funkapottomous I found your $50, How much is the reward? I bought some kegs with it, thanks.
Edit

Carboy brush works pretty good in them too, I have a small mechanics mirror that I stick in and shine a flashlight in just to make sure there is no gunk.:mug:

wyoder said:
When you say to halves, is it already cut vertically down the center, like a grill?I've seen them used as a urinal...

Good idea, but i doubt the wife would approve.

Started welding a stand and ordered a tri-clover cap and ball valve. My plan is to flip it with the above attached and drill a stopper hole on the bottom(or top) for an airlock. Cheap conical. Sweet. Then run a glycol pump/resiviour from the freezer through a copper coil around the fermentor/keg with a temp controller for the pump. Anybody done this before?

Make sure you check out the closed system pressurized fermentation thread, I'm doing my first batch and I've got fizzy beer at day 7 !!

Alright after searching. The idea is there but Yuri Rage is the only one close and he still hasnt used his after Two years. Anybody else?

Hugh_Jass said:
Yep. Here's a picture of me racking a pale ale today.

Have you ever used a sankey coupler to move your beer? I just started fermenting in sankey's and I'm trying to decide which way to go.

How much PSI are you using to move that beer? It doesnt disrupt the yeast sediment at all?

Have you ever used a sankey coupler to move your beer? I just started fermenting in sankey's and I'm trying to decide which way to go.

Nope, never used a sankey coupler. The carboy cap w/a hose clamp works fine for me.

How much PSI are you using to move that beer? It doesnt disrupt the yeast sediment at all?

IIRC, the gauge was reading just south of 10 psi. Maybe 8? There might be a little cake that is moved when transferring buy no more than racking w/ gravity. Those beers were cold crashed for 4 days @ 32F, so the cake was pretty solid.

Back