Scorched plate chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBaGZ

Reaction score
I have had my plate chiller for about two years and have always just flushed it clean at the end of a brew day. The other day I decided to put it in the oven. I read a few posts on here with people ranging the temp from 450-self cleaning. I chose self cleaning (big mistake), and set it for the lowest self cleaning setting. I also put it in dry, which I think was a mistake, too. So when the cycle finished, and everything cooled, I took it out to find it had discolored pretty good. I give it a good hot water flush both ways, and get a little bit of black debris to cone out, nothing crazy, but some small particles. After it dries I happen to smell the wort ports, and they smell burnt. I was out of PBW so I mixed up some hot OXY, and recirced it through the chiller for a couple hours. Gave it a good rinse and it still smelled. Picked up some PBW, repeat the flushing process, and it still smells burnt.

I was planning to brew this weekend, but am worried the smell will ruin anything I push through it. Anyone have a suggestion? I would hate to toss my $100+ 40 plate chiller in the trash, but I feel that's how it is looking.

I

Try caustic, get the 100% lye, yellow container at Lowes. Read up on how to use it and be safe. Try it warm

Just out of curiosity is this a duda plate heat exchanger? Mine has a sticker on it that says max temp 430ºF.

If you are uncomfortable with the caustic you can buy Acid #5 from Five Star at your lhbs. It is phosphoric and nitric blended together. Supposed to be good stuff. While cleaning it apparently passivates. I have a case of it waiting for my conical to go into service. It is going to be my primary CIP goo. Although I have been toying around with switching to peracetic acid.

Try caustic, get the 100% lye, yellow container at Lowes. Read up on how to use it and be safe. Try it warm

Nothing in a yellow container except Drano Gel. Only thing that says 100% lye is Rowbic crystal. Same stuff? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412369479.243938.jpg

Or they have sulphuric acid.

Going to give it a shot. Guess I need to figure out the "dosage".

Can't believe people actually cook with this stuff!

I mixed up about two oz to a quart of water and have it soaking.

Well I let it soak in the lye water for a couple hours, but I am not sure it did any good. I flushed it and have it soaking in star san for a bit. Nothing came out of the chiller when I was flushing it with water so I guess the previous cleanings did the trick as far as that. Should it have shined the metal back up in any way? I soaked the male camlock fitting that got burned in the solution as well, but it didn't do anything to it.

Well I let it soak in the lye water for a couple hours, but I am not sure it did any good. I flushed it and have it soaking in star san for a bit. Nothing came out of the chiller when I was flushing it with water so I guess the previous cleanings did the trick as far as that. Should it have shined the metal back up in any way? I soaked the male camlock fitting that got burned in the solution as well, but it didn't do anything to it.

Well lye would have removed any organic deposits, so I would maybe run some boiling water through and cool it and taste it.

Make sure the pump is rated for chemicals.

It would just be a standard March pump, I assumed I could run chemicals through it, but I'll have to check and be sure.

The hoses are what I was specifically wondering about. But if the pump can't handle it than the hoses are a non factor.

Latest posts

Back