Counterflow Chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSpartaNJ

Reaction score
I have had a kegland counterflow chiller for almost 2 years but have never used it, I have been using a Duda Diesel 30 plate for the last 5 or 6 years now.

I have finally bought fittings for it and am going to try it it on my next batch.

I am familiar with using and cleaning it, but my question is about afterwards.

I plan on running PBW through it both ways and flushing it out.

Will all the residual water drain out of it or do I need to blow it out somehow? I don't have an air compressor or anything to do that with.

Any advise?

I don't know if it's absolutely necessary, but I suppose the risk would be mold formation if you don't clear out the fluid.

After running PBW through the CFC and then water to flush, I connect to a CO2 tank to briefly blow out the water.

I have had a kegland counterflow chiller for almost 2 years but have never used it, I have been using a Duda Diesel 30 plate for the last 5 or 6 years now.

I have finally bought fittings for it and am going to try it it on my next batch.

I am familiar with using and cleaning it, but my question is about afterwards.

I plan on running PBW through it both ways and flushing it out.

Will all the residual water drain out of it or do I need to blow it out somehow? I don't have an air compressor or anything to do that with.

Any advise?
I've been using the Coolossus for about 2 years, I flush it out with the hosepipe. Then prop it up so the coils all can drain.
Leaving it also in the sun.
A few times I've put pbw thru it.
Flush through with water pre brew and then attach it via 3 way I have half way up recirc pipe on my Guten. This then goes into whirlpool via old ballock which tap which I swapped out for whirlpool. I recirc thru this on way up to boil and then turn off after 10 mins above 80c. End of boil it's all sanitised and straight into whirlpool without having to have pump on during boil.

I have the one that came with my Grainfather. After chilling, I run PBW through it, then some clear water, then some Starsan. I store it up high so all the tubes hang and let them drain into a bucket. The night before brewing, or early that day, I'll run a little more Starsan and watch what comes out. Of course, I circulate some hot wort through it right before chilling. I've had no problems.

I have dual counter flow chillers, ground water goes in the first one and ice water goes into the second one. After cleaning I flush it out with water and then I have a wet dry vacuum that I can attach the hose to make it pump air instead of sucking, and I push out the remaining bit of water with the vac and a small nozzle. It takes a little time to get the last little bit out but it's worth it to me, no mold or any nasties grow in it when I store it and it is ready to get sanitized on brew day.

I have the same chiller! I run PBW through it, take off the fittings, blow some air through and let it dry.

I don’t bother with blowing out. After cleaning and rinse, tip it a few times to allow water to drain - takes a few cycles to get it all out. Air dry after that.

Before using, I run my boiling wort through it to sanitize it and the lines and never had any off flavors or nastiness in it in the years I’ve been dining that

I have used the chiller 3 or 4 times now. Works great, easy to clean.

I just don't like the way it sits. I kind of wish they extended the ports a few inches out, it would be a whole lot easier to balance.

The connections and hoses get in the way.

Has anyone seen or made a stand for this?

I though of just running a stick or something through the center and balancing it off the ground.

Here is mine:

Chiller Stand.jpg

One thing I've not seen mentioned here:
Do NOT put it away where it can freeze if a "larger amount" of water remains inside it, in either channel.

Placed in a vertical position, blow out both channels with air or CO2, from the top down. That should suffice.
And always store it vertically, so it can continue to drain.
Another puff of air after a day (or 2) will spray out any remaining water that collected, especially if it can freeze.

Back