Scoby sank to bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After 6 days my new and old scoby sank to bottom of jar. What happened ? Can i still use them in a new batch. Temp was 84 degrees. I did a test sip using a straw to draw a straw full out.

Although it seems "questionable" to me too when that happens, I've read it makes no difference where the SCOBY decides to hang out. I start tasting at around 5 days to see if I'm going from sweet to sour, that's a better indicator I think.

If the scoby sinks it is dead or unable to process the base you have introduced it to.
Chances are it fell way to far out of PH and couldn't sustain the basified or acidic conditions it is in.
Either that or it wasn't properly covered and wasn't able to ferment- so it simply existed until it couldn't anymore. If C02 isn't present - it is not fermenting properly and it will not float.
Sometimes they sink day 1-3 but then will float back up- they just need to get used to their environment.
I've read forums where the tea base was too weak or not enough sugar was present.

Diagnostic: Try again or take your brew and start a new tea from scratch using the old brew to see if cultures are present or not.
If they are present- you will have a new scoby in a week or less.

Good luck!
Wizard works

If the scoby sinks it is dead or unable to process the base you have introduced it to.
Chances are it fell way to far out of PH and couldn't sustain the basified or acidic conditions it is in.
Either that or it wasn't properly covered and wasn't able to ferment- so it simply existed until it couldn't anymore. If C02 isn't present - it is not fermenting properly and it will not float.

Please don't post things that will alarm beginners. I disagree with you. It is the CO2 that keeps the scoby afloat. If the CO2 can escape, or it is at the end of the fermentation, the scoby may well sink and still be a perfectly viable scoby.

A 'dead' scoby may well sink, but not all scobys that sink are dead. remember a scoby is not a single organism, but is mad up of billions of organisms.

I'm not posting things to alarm beginners.

Please don't post things that will alarm beginners. I disagree with you. It is the CO2 that keeps the scoby afloat. If the CO2 can escape, or it is at the end of the fermentation, the scoby may well sink and still be a perfectly viable scoby.

A 'dead' scoby may well sink, but not all scobys that sink are dead. remember a scoby is not a single organism, but is mad up of billions of organisms.

*Made
And I never said that the scoby is dead, I said chances are it MIGHT BE if it sinks and can't build back up after an extended period of time. I also said *which you didn't quote* it takes time for it to float back up and build up Co2- which again I said "it needs to get used to its environment".

It's more then just C02 that can make a scoby sink
One of the causes could be reduced yeast activity
Could be poor c02 buildup
Could be temperature of ferment

Yeasts tend to be more vigorous in warm brews-

I agree it might not be dead but a muted state is NOT fermenting , it simply can't.
Why not start another brew?
Didn't see you come up with a solution rather then just point out what you thought was wrong.

Source: Grown a 1000 + Scobies & http://kombuchahome.com/what-to-do-if-my-scoby-sinks/

I've had my scoby sink, multiple times. That does not mean your scoby is dead, or that there is a critical issue with you setup.
I've had everything calculated to the T, temps, ph, everything, and still have had my aged scoby move to the bottom. Never have I had a problem with things getting going. I find that the batches where my mother has gone to the bottom come out better than those where it floats on top.
Chances are, your fine.

Back