School Me on Gas Regulators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robotsinmyhead

Reaction score
I've been a technician in various forms all my life, but I realized I don't know jack about gas regulators.

I want to build up another kegging set (I bought a premade the first round), but I have the opportunity to save a lot of money by using some salvaged parts from work. I have 3 different regulators from medical gas setups (Medical Air - which is just cleaned-up breathing air, Lung Diffusion Gas which is kinda like trimix for SCUBA tanks with helium in it, and Medical Oxygen), and I'm wondering what I need to do to them to get them going as CO2 regulators beyond the obvious inlet/outlet fittings.

Are the delivery pressure gauge and inlet pressure gauges calibrated differently for different gasses / will that offset make my salvaged regulators unusable or just be kind of annoying?

Are the delivery pressure gauge and inlet pressure gauges calibrated differently for different gasses / will that offset make my salvaged regulators unusable or just be kind of annoying?

Pressure is pressure is pressure unless you are dealing with temperature compensation.

The main thing to keep in mind is that you do not want excessive pressure going to a low PSI gauge...make sure they are post regulator.

Now, using an argon, welding oxygen or similar gauge could theoretically be an issue as the brass could contain lead but even then...liquid would have to have backwashed to do it..

Back