Scaling a recipe for a one gallon BIAB recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
I've haven't brewed in many years but after reading an article on small batch brewing and BIAB, i went out and bought some ingredients for a Franziskaner clone that I got out of book (by Tess and Mark Szamatulski- I've seen a thread around here about the recipe). I used Beersmith to scale it down to one gallon and wanted to be sure I'm getting the amount of mash water right. I'm sure the rest of the process will come back to me as I go but here's the grain bill:
1 lb 7oz German wheat malt
8.8 oz 2 row Pilsner malt
.8 oz aromatic malt
.4 oz acid malt
On the timer screen it says to add 6.75 quart 173.5 water and mash at 152.1 for 75 minutes.
There's a mash out step too but I just want to make sure this is scaling the water amounts right. Thanks for the help!

That sounds close enough.

With a 1 gallon batch, you have to watch your boil off like a hawk as you go and make adjustment as needed. Either boil more, turn the flame down or add a touch of water post boil until you get a handle on your losses.

Ps make sure you have ample crush on the wheat malt, wheat is a small hard kernel, and a mill with a larger gap will pass a large percentage uncrushed and kill efficiency.

Look at the grist carefully to make sure very few to none whole grains exist after milling.

Back