South Carolina SC midlands area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats this do that an oxy or PBW soak doesn't? I get that sankes need this because of beerstone build up and that no one can manually clean build up through the narrow opening (or even see it), but for clear or wideouthed vessels, what is the main benefit?

Using less product and not lifting or transferring large amounts of liquid. It sprays and coats the entire vessel using only 2 gallons of pbw mix instead of, in this case, 6.5 gallons
Yeah, I agree with SHAIV about the water volume. But also for me, I have a bad habit of filling a fermenter/keg to soak, and then it ends up sitting there for days. With this, I wait until I have 4 or 5 kegs that needs cleaning, and I just setup an assembly line and run each keg for about 15 minutes on the cleaner, and get through all the kegs, then rinse them out. I can also use the pump to recirc cleaner through my keg lines. And of course I also use the same pump to run ice water through my immersion chiller.

I’m back from vacation and have changed my mind on cask ales. I tried not to repeat any of the beers I found on the trail. My perception is that the ales in the villages and towns may not have been the best examples or handled correctly. Once we got into the larger towns and then London, the ales were definitely worthy of a second pint. Fullers London Pride from the cask is great and completely different from the bottles I find here.
Welcome back, friend. You didn't miss much. I think it's time for me to pay my yearly dues. Do we still have paypal on the website or should I just bring you cash next Monday?

Welcome back, friend. You didn't miss much. I think it's time for me to pay my yearly dues. Do we still have paypal on the website or should I just bring you cash next Monday?

Prefer PayPal. The bank we use is closed when I go to work and closed when I come home. No branches where I work so it’s a big pain with cash.

Omg im so sick of facebook! All i see is people talking about nike, some rappers and sharing fake pictures of fake news. Who cares! Get a life and grab a homebrew. I think im done with facebook for real

Omg im so sick of facebook! All i see is people talking about nike, some rappers and sharing fake pictures of fake news. Who cares! Get a life and grab a homebrew. I think im done with facebook for real
Hahah no kidding. Honestly, if it wasn't for the PSB group on FB, I would absolutely be off that shiit. Prior to that, the only benefit was Tinder but I found a wife so I don't need Tinder either!

Yeah, I agree with SHAIV about the water volume. But also for me, I have a bad habit of filling a fermenter/keg to soak, and then it ends up sitting there for days. With this, I wait until I have 4 or 5 kegs that needs cleaning, and I just setup an assembly line and run each keg for about 15 minutes on the cleaner, and get through all the kegs, then rinse them out. I can also use the pump to recirc cleaner through my keg lines. And of course I also use the same pump to run ice water through my immersion chiller.

Wait, I shouldn't keep my buckets full of acidic cleaner? Guess i'll have to dump it...

Is cleaner acidic? Idk but i used to keep a bucket of acidic sanitizer. They say oxygen cleaner (such as pbw) doesnt keep i usually rinse out my kegs as soon as i can after they are empty ill leave em in the keezer till i can rinse them. That way hopefully nothing sticks. The pbw does say on it depending on the load to be cleaned. So i figure if they are already rinsed itll take some of the work away from the cleaner and itll do more. So ill clean 3 or more vessels at a time if i can but once my grapefruit ipa is done fermenting i can just clean the one vessel with 2 gallons and dump it instead of making 5-6 gallons for one vessel. Although i used to keep the cleaner afterwards in my large cooler for cleaning labels off of bottles back when i used to bottle. Soak bottles in pbw cleaned the inside and got the labels off the outside like a charm

Edit: should have been clear; I meant sanitizer rather than cleaner, though I'm keeping some of my stuff soaking in sanitizer for... reasons.

Well... Starsan is an acid. I don't tend to have buckets of PBW lining around; I use it more as a one-time soak.

Got a question for the group. My Christmas quad finished up at 1.0155 (~84% AA, 11% ABV; hair sweeter than I wanted but whatever), and this will be the first time I rack a beer into the bottling bucket/keg with a spigot. As there is a lot of fermenter crap that will get sucked in, what do you do? Drain and dump? When I took a gravity sample from the bottom, the hydrometer cylinder settled out to be roughly 20% trub, 80% beer. Seems like a waste to open and dump if that's the case. What's the best way to use the spigot to draw clear beer (and no, I don't have a racking arm) with minimal losses from trub?

Last edited:
Edit: should have been clear; I meant sanitizer rather than cleaner, though I'm keeping some of my stuff soaking in sanitizer for... reasons.

Well... Starsan is an acid. I don't tend to have buckets of PBW lining around; I use it more as a one-time soak.

Got a question for the group. My Christmas quad finished up at 1.0155 (~84% AA, 11% ABV; hair sweeter than I wanted but whatever), and this will be the first time I rack a beer into the bottling bucket/keg with a spigot. As there is a lot of fermenter crap that will get sucked in, what do you do? Drain and dump? When I took a gravity sample from the bottom, the hydrometer cylinder settled out to be roughly 20% trub, 80% beer. Seems like a waste to open and dump if that's the case. What's the best way to use the spigot to draw clear beer (and no, I don't have a racking arm) with minimal losses from trub?

Right. Just saying i made my washer so that even if i only have one vessel to clean im not making 6 gallons of pbw then dumping it just to clean my fermenter. I can make 2 gallons and clean one vessel or i can clean 5 or whatever i have to clean i can clean with 2 gallons and dump it rather than making 5-6 gallons. Should make my 4 lbs of pbw last a long time! I dont mind making 5 gallons of star san at a time (with distilled water) since that will keep for a few months.
I dont like to let things soak too long. One time i left my keg full of pbw water for a few days and it started rusting the bottom so i had to clean that up. Also the metal on my carboy brush started rusting at the end. I guess you arent supposed to use pbw while using a carboy brush? Idk

As for the quad, are you saying the trub/yeast stuff at the bottom is above/inside the spigot? If so can you just siphon it out from the top? Or maybe tilt the fermenter a bit the opposite way and try to get the stuff to move away from the spigot then let it settle before transferring? Not quite sure if i answered question right maybe I misunderstood

When you cold crash it, put something under the side where the spigot is, so the fermenter is sitting at an angle. That way when all the crap crashed out, it will be compacted away from the spigot.

Hey guys i hope yall are having a good weekend. I know im not, my air broke in my house and my dogs got lost this morning for a few hours. They are back home safe now though. Anyway i got a question about a grapefruit ipa im making. I brewed it on monday and its about time to dry hop it and add the grapefruit. The instructions (from northern brewer) say to boil some water and add the crystalized grapefruit to the water, stir and add to sanitized keg then rack beer into keg. A friend of mine made this before and soaked some fresh grapefruit zest in vodka and then added it like a dry hop i think. Which way would you do it. I already have the crystalized grapefruit that came with the kit but should i use it or do both?

Hey guys i hope yall are having a good weekend. I know im not, my air broke in my house and my dogs got lost this morning for a few hours. They are back home safe now though. Anyway i got a question about a grapefruit ipa im making. I brewed it on monday and its about time to dry hop it and add the grapefruit. The instructions (from northern brewer) say to boil some water and add the crystalized grapefruit to the water, stir and add to sanitized keg then rack beer into keg. A friend of mine made this before and soaked some fresh grapefruit zest in vodka and then added it like a dry hop i think. Which way would you do it. I already have the crystalized grapefruit that came with the kit but should i use it or do both?
I would advocate for the liquor tincture with the zest, if it were me. But that's primarily because I've never worked with the crystallized stuff before, and I've done plenty of tinctures with zests. Although I've never done a grapefruit zest tincture, I've done plenty with limes and oranges. I'll zest a few pieces of whatever citrus I am using, put that in a mason jar, and add just enough vodka (or everclear/shine) to cover it. And I'll give it a shake a few times a day, basically whenever I walk by it and I'm paying attention. I let that extract a few days. Time is dependent on the liquor and what you're wanting. The higher proof, the quicker the extraction. I've done one with moonshine in like 2 days I think. Vodka I usually go a little longer. Then just strain out the solids, add the tincture liquid to the keg, rack in. I do find whenever I use tinctures like this, it takes about a week or so in the keg for all the flavors to really mesh well and sort of come together.

Nice thanks man. Yeah i was leaning towards the vodka tincture too since i just got some for my wife. So the package from northern brewer says grapefruit peel on it. The instructions say crystalized. It looks like freeze dried grapefruit peel. I went ahead and made it since i already added dry hops yesterday. Ill let this brine and add it a few days before cold crashing i guess

IMG_2694.JPG

IMG_2695.JPG

Last edited:
Just bottled the Christmas Quad (long day... stupid Hurricane). 3 cases + 2 = 6.91 gallons, carbed to an estimated 3.15 or so. Lost about half a gallon from inadequate bottles and maybe a bit in the fermenter. Speidel's spigot made this so much less painful then normal. Couldn't make the meeting, and I'm back to work after this post.

Brewing tomorrow TL?

Just bottled the Christmas Quad (long day... stupid Hurricane). 3 cases + 2 = 6.91 gallons, carbed to an estimated 3.15 or so. Lost about half a gallon from inadequate bottles and maybe a bit in the fermenter. Speidel's spigot made this so much less painful then normal. Couldn't make the meeting, and I'm back to work after this post.

Brewing tomorrow TL?

So you gonna let it condition and age till december?

Also what does everyone have planned for this hurricane? I stocked up on beer. I also have a beer in a keg and another beer that could be kegged soon. I hope we dont lose power. No cold beer!

Glad you got the bug again. A lot of experience in the thread and help is a post away. Do you still have your equipment or do you have to start over?

Hey all, I just picked up this thread. I have been away from homebrew for awhile but trying to get back into it. I think it’s great what you all do here. I live in Lexington. I’ll be following this group now.

Welcome man! I live barely outside lexington and i deliver packages for UPS in lexington. I got from herndon chevy to lowes and whiteford out to #6

Glad you got the bug again. A lot of experience in the thread and help is a post away. Do you still have your equipment or do you have to start over?

Fortunately I still have a all my equipment except my Kegerator. Never made it to all grain but that’s my goal.

Welcome man! I live barely outside lexington and i deliver packages for UPS in lexington. I got from herndon chevy to lowes and whiteford out to #6

Awesome, then you deliver to me! I know my ingredients/equipment is in good hands. At least the things I can’t get at Bet Mar. Are there any other brew shops in town that I am unaware of?

Nice! Man i love delivering homebrew stuff! I delivered a pico brew to one guy. I know where a few homebrewers are on my route after delivering stuff to them! Yes there is a brew shop called DIY brewhouse on two notch in Elgin. I think its near sandhills. So its a bit of a drive up i20 so ive never been there myself but its highly suggested over betmar by many

Last edited:
So for those of you that live in the Lexington/West Columbia Area, have you gotten a water report? Do you make adjustments to your water for brewing?

Ive heard that lexington water is on brewers friend i think. I have cayce water which sucks. So i go to walmart and buy gallon jugs for 60c each

I like DIY for the discount, and Kevin seems more of a brewer than Bet Mar, and tends to have a better selection for some things. That being said, Bet Mar has done me a solid a few times, like when my yeast was non-viable two days before doing the christmas quad. You can't really go wrong with either.

So you gonna let it condition and age till december?

Also what does everyone have planned for this hurricane? I stocked up on beer. I also have a beer in a keg and another beer that could be kegged soon. I hope we dont lose power. No cold beer!
I brewed a hazy boi Friday morning and damn if it wasn't one of the smoothest easiest going brew days I've had in a while. Knocked it out in 4.5 hours, and I'm usually at 5.5-6 hours for my NEIPAs (with multiple whirlpools). I'll add the second dry hop later this week before we fly out to Denver for a few days. Then keg it when I get back. I always love coming home from vacay to fresh homebrew.

I know some people caught hell with this hurricane, and that sucks. A lot of us have been there before. But at least where I am downtown, it was a whole bunch of nothing. Didn't even get enough wind to knock down this dead branch I can't reach in my white pine.

Yeah man. I used about two rolls of duck tape to keep my outdoor stuff secure. There was some dirt on my deck and i was like oh the storm will take care of that... nope. Had to take the hose to it yesterday after taking all my duck tape down

Fortunately I still have a all my equipment except my Kegerator. Never made it to all grain but that’s my goal.

Dude extract is not as bad as it used to be. I got an extract in my keg currently and its a very nice ipa. I mean if its loaded with hops then... lol I love brewing all grain but i find it hard to find time to brew lately as my youngest son isnt even 1 yet so its hard for me to get an all grain going at the moment.

IMG_2732.JPG

It may be a pin lock keg but dang thats a good deal! If i didnt already have 4 ball lock kegs id be getting at least one

totally off topic from what you guys are discussing above. . . Full Spectrum Brewing: A co-worker mentioned to me yesterday he is pretty sure they closed. Their website no longer works and google search says closed.

Anyone have an idea what happened? Was on my list to check out soon. . . guess that will not be happening.

totally off topic from what you guys are discussing above. . . Full Spectrum Brewing: A co-worker mentioned to me yesterday he is pretty sure they closed. Their website no longer works and google search says closed.

Anyone have an idea what happened? Was on my list to check out soon. . . guess that will not be happening.
Not sure. I hadn't even heard of them until you mentioned it and I checked the google.

Not sure. I hadn't even heard of them until you mentioned it and I checked the google.
Yea was open a few years. My Co-worker said the beers were decent, but the location was terrible and not exactly easy to find. Guessing no one will ever know what happened.

Yelp says permanently closed and nothing about it’s closing from google. Website says the site is expired. You would think that someone would say something about it.

Yelp says permanently closed and nothing about it’s closing from google. Website says the site is expired. You would think that someone would say something about it.
Yep agreed. At least a goodbye party to go through any remaining inventory and make a little more cash. Very odd.

Brewed a black ipa last night and im keg fermenting it. My last few batches only had less than an inch of krausen so i left about 2 in of headspace in my keg. The reason im keg fermenting is to pressure ferment. Which ive also read that will reduce krausen as well. So i brewed it last night. I loaded it with hops. I added about 2.7 oz of homegrown hops to northern brewers ace of spades black ipa kit. With around 4.5 gallons after boil and in the fermenter i got an sg of 1.071. I sealed it up with my spunding valve on the keg and this morning the liquid out post was leaking. So i fashioned a device to stop the leak. I also used a shortened dip tube so it wont suck up much (if any) yeast and dry hops. I may only get around 4 gallons in the serving keg but i hope itll be good.
IMG_2745.JPG

Transferring to keg
IMG_2747.JPG

Hop spider full of whole and pellet hops
IMG_2751.JPG

Headspace left in the keg after aerating
IMG_2754.JPG

Leaking post
IMG_2755.JPG

Leaking keg post fix haha

Brewed a black ipa last night and im keg fermenting it. My last few batches only had less than an inch of krausen so i left about 2 in of headspace in my keg. The reason im keg fermenting is to pressure ferment. Which ive also read that will reduce krausen as well. So i brewed it last night. I loaded it with hops. I added about 2.7 oz of homegrown hops to northern brewers ace of spades black ipa kit. With around 4.5 gallons after boil and in the fermenter i got an sg of 1.071. I sealed it up with my spunding valve on the keg and this morning the liquid out post was leaking. So i fashioned a device to stop the leak. I also used a shortened dip tube so it wont suck up much (if any) yeast and dry hops. I may only get around 4 gallons in the serving keg but i hope itll be good.
View attachment 590768
Transferring to keg
View attachment 590769
Hop spider full of whole and pellet hops
View attachment 590770
Headspace left in the keg after aerating
View attachment 590771
Leaking post
View attachment 590772
Leaking keg post fix haha
Nice thinking on the leaky post fix!

Back