Saying goodbye to my friend tomorrow.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
I am writing this tonight with great sadness, tomorrow I will have to say goodbye to my friend. This is one of the hardest things I have had to do in my life, I've been very fortunate in life, meaning I have not had to say good bye to many people or pets yet.
But this pup holds a special place in my heart, I learned alot from him, I learned of my love for adventure, Iearned patience which helps me greatly today with my 1.5 year old son.

Once it's all said and done I would l in e to brew a batch just for him. Something I will remember him by and enjoy his memory while drinking.
I'm thinking a stout, something easy going like him.
If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
This is him
IMG_2360(1).jpeg
IMG_0153.jpeg
IMG_0024 - Copy(1).jpeg

Man, so sorry to hear. The sting of these loses is so hard to take. I came to realize that the loss of my friend also represented remembering and ending a good period of my life. Brew that beer and i hope it provides some joy, and healing. What a hard thing to do. glad you posted and I wish i could take some of the sadness for you, but i can only share it with you. Seems you were very blessed to have such a great friend, let us quickly praise g-d (or whoever whatever everyone believes)and say amen.

I'm so sorry sorefingers (and AZ). Beautiful companions both and looked like they were filled with great spirits. I don't think folks who don't have these incredible pals as family members can understand the depth of grief you're undergoing. I don't know if it helps, but when we lost our last two fellas, our vet gave us their paw prints and a thought, too, that they are running free, as dogs love to do. May your puppies have that freedom and may your grief heal soon.

Sorry for your loss.
He's a rottweiler, no? I changed trains once in Rottweil, had an hour or so to wander a bit. It was a tranquil, picturesque little village. I wonder what kind of local beer they drink there?

This was the loss of a family member for sure. His coloration reminds me of a stout when it pours that rich brown head....colors just like on him. A "celebration of life" stout.

Maybe brew something that you can age, pouring one every once in a while to mark your progression through the grieving process. When enough time has passed and you are down to the last few bottles, pour some in a bowl for your new best friend.

My condolences on your situation.
As for the beer, I'm thinking schwarzbier because it's German like your buddy and mostly black with a little red if the light is right.

So sorry to hear this. It’s hard as hell losing a buddy. We lost our English bulldog almost 1 year ago exactly and I brew an English IPA called Bulldog Slobber in his memory (if anyone has ever had a bulldog they’ll know what I mean by “slobber”!).

I agree that you should do a dark, full beer in his honor!

I don’t post much anymore but this got me. My boy is 11 and I know the day is coming.

That’s the tough lesson but the most beautiful one when owning a dog. Seeing others go through the struggle in life is what gives us the strength to.

Life is short, get what you want from it.

Well it's done, I just had a vet come to the house and do it, he has not been well the last few days, I thought it would be terrible since it was the first time I've had to make the call, but there was an odd sense of relief and peace in the whole thing. It was so quick and peaceful. Thanks everyone for the kind words.
Rest well old friend.

It is a kindness to let an old friend go when it is clear there is only suffering left for them. RIP. You should put up another picture so the thread shows up with a picture of him instead of my dog, since the thread is about him.

A2E45C1D-98A0-455E-9172-D617E7A63CBD.jpeg

Here is my boy who died 2 1/2 years ago. He was my constant companion. He’d hang out with me for a full 8 hour brew day. It’s down to 6 now.
I was a wreck for weeks. My wife drug me over to look at some pups. I got one. That helped me tremendously.
Sorry for your loss.

F5DF5680-48CB-42B1-B64B-414C0DBF5867.jpeg
this is my new scruffy mutt. My name is Tom, his is Jerry. Tom and Jerry. I killed me to go look initially, but it was what I needed. Over the years and several traumatic life events... I was a mess. Getting another dog really helped me. I want you to know, I am not the biggest crybaby you know, (at 6’6”) just the tallest.

Last edited:
What a handsome boy, @sorefingers23 I'm glad he has had a caring family to be a part of. I know it was hard for me and my spouse to take our boy to the vet for the last time, and it is the right thing to do when they are suffering. I think a stout is the perfect beer to remember him with.

Lost my best friend 7 months ago and just getting over it. My daughter started training a Black Lab service dog puppy, and that helped immensely. Working up to buying a new Yellow lab.

We lost Bruce right after Christmas. Cancerous growth choking his heart. Still miss him terribly. He had a 'bulldog head' just like your dog. Glad you have good picks.

if there are no dogs in Heaven, then, when I die I want to go where they went
- Will Rogers

very sorry about your puppy. (you didn't mention his name)

my Howdy is 11, rescued us when he was 3, it's the longest I've ever had a dog. I don't know what I'm going to do when the time comes.

I'm so terribly sorry for this. Our thoughts are going to be with you today.

I really like JayJay's idea of a big, aged beer that can go through it's own process with you.

I am writing this tonight with great sadness, tomorrow I will have to say goodbye to my friend. This is one of the hardest things I have had to do in my life, I've been very fortunate in life, meaning I have not had to say good bye to many people or pets yet.
But this pup holds a special place in my heart, I learned alot from him, I learned of my love for adventure, Iearned patience which helps me greatly today with my 1.5 year old son.

Once it's all said and done I would l in e to brew a batch just for him. Something I will remember him by and enjoy his memory while drinking.
I'm thinking a stout, something easy going like him.
If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
This is him View attachment 579599View attachment 579600View attachment 579601
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Home Brew mobile app

Probably posted before, but I pray it's true.

The Rainbows Bridge Poem
RainbowBridge.com Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Sorry for your loss. Looks like a very happy pup, you did a great job giving him a good life.

I think you should brew up a nice milk stout in his honor.

Back