Saving half a vile of liquid yeast for later?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsMeister

Reaction score
A recipe I plan on making calls for half pounds of a handful of specialty grains that I bought in one pound increments. Since i have twice the grain I need I figured I would make two batches. My question is:

Does anybody have experience using half a vile of yeast at a time? I plan on dumping half in a starter and closing up the other half and putting it in the fridge for probably 2 months. Is this a bad idea?

Why not just harvest and save the yeast from the first batch? Do a search for yeast harvesting and yeast washing, a lot of people do it with great results.

Beerrific said:
Why not just harvest and save the yeast from the first batch? Do a search for yeast harvesting and yeast washing, a lot of people do it with great results.
I do this with great results, I also culture the yeast from fresh tubes on slants for growing starters later. It is the bomb.:rockin:

I agree. Just try using the whole vial of yeast. You could pitch the next batch right on top of the old yeast cake. Make sure to use a blow off tube though!

Use the entire vial in the starter. Sterilize (not sanitize) the tube & cap. Refill from the starter just before pitching.

Thanks for the ideas, I think I will go with your idea David since I am a little to lazy to start messing around with yeast too much and your suggestion sounds the easiest to me.

Back