Saugatuck Bonfire Brown - Best Guess, Seeking Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabbz

Reaction score
I've dropped an e-mail to Saugatuck BC in hopes of getting some input on cloning their Bonfire Brown. If you haven't tried it, it's really an outstanding brown, and I'm not a huge fan of the style to begin with. It's only been a few hours, but no reply, so boredom breeds ingenuity. I saved the six pack case cause it gives some of the basic stats including IBUs, Malts (without percentages), and Hops. At any rate, I took to forming a recipe based on what I could taste combined with the stuff on the box. Looking for input from either those who have tried this brew, or may just have an opinion on this style.

Grain Bill:
6 lbs 2 Row
1.5 lbs Munich 10L
1 lb Bonlander Munich
12 oz Crystal 60L
12 oz Special Roast
6 oz CaraBrown
4 oz Victory
4 oz Smoked Malt
3 oz Chocolate

Hops
1 oz Goldings (60)
.75 oz Goldings (15)
1 oz Cascade Flameout

Yeast - guessing WLP001 or the like.

Looking for 20 IBUs and 5.5% ABV.

This gives 19 ibus and 6%

Any input would be greatly appreciated. This would be a first attempt at some type of clone using my own investigation.

I've dropped an e-mail to Saugatuck BC in hopes of getting some input on cloning their Bonfire Brown. If you haven't tried it, it's really an outstanding brown, and I'm not a huge fan of the style to begin with. It's only been a few hours, but no reply, so boredom breeds ingenuity. I saved the six pack case cause it gives some of the basic stats including IBUs, Malts (without percentages), and Hops. At any rate, I took to forming a recipe based on what I could taste combined with the stuff on the box. Looking for input from either those who have tried this brew, or may just have an opinion on this style.

Grain Bill:
6 lbs 2 Row
1.5 lbs Munich 10L
1 lb Bonlander Munich
12 oz Crystal 60L
12 oz Special Roast
6 oz CaraBrown
4 oz Victory
4 oz Smoked Malt
3 oz Chocolate

Hops
1 oz Goldings (60)
.75 oz Goldings (15)
1 oz Cascade Flameout

Yeast - guessing WLP001 or the like.

Looking for 20 IBUs and 5.5% ABV.

This gives 19 ibus and 6%

Any input would be greatly appreciated. This would be a first attempt at some type of clone using my own investigation.

Malts:pale, Smoked, Bonlander Munich, Victory, Munich 10L, Carabrown, Caramel 60L, Roasted, Chocolate is what the website says. I am assuming that is the order in which they are using them? As in starting with greatest amount to the least amount? I also thought that Bonlander Munich 10L is the same as the Munich 10L? I want to try this clone as well!

6 Gal., 75% Eff., 90 Boil, Mash 154 for 60.

Grain Bill:
6.5 lbs 2 Row
2 lbs Smoked Malt
1.50 lb Bonlander Munich 10L
10 oz CaraBrown
8 oz Crystal 60L
8 oz Victory
2 oz Roasted Barley
2 oz Chocolate

Hops
1 oz Goldings (60)
1 oz Cascade (5)