Sanyo Alcohol/Cornstarch trick not working...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderDogs

Reaction score
I'm at a stand still converting my Sanyo 4912M to a kegerator. I'm trying to find the line that goes across the top before I drill my hole but the alcohol and cornstarch trick is not working. I've applied a thick, medium and thin solution with no results.

Is there something I'm missing on how to do this? I turned the temp to max and applied. Everything seems to dry evenly. The fridge is hard to come by and I spent $250 on it so I want to make absolutely sure I'm not going to hit that line.

Is there another trick or am I doing something wrong? Another "site" told me to drill directly in the middle but I can't chance it on ruining the fridge.

Help!

I had the same problem. I trusted the posts and drilled about a 1/2" to and 1" forward of center. All was fine...but I held my breath while drilling...

Damn, I just don't think I can do it. I'm hoping it will be fine but man I just wish the solution would work so I would be at ease. I'll probably try it 100 more times to see if I can get it to work. My wife thought I was crazy staring at the top of the fridge for so long.

The video's I've seen has the people doing the cornstarch trick on the top of the fridge, like on the outside. If you look up the chrisknight000 video on youtube he doesn't it on the outside. I'll definitely try the inside but it would seem easier to decide where to drill from the outside.

Thanks for the info!

After reading a little more, that line in the top might be a return line to the condenser rather than part of the evaporator. If that's the case, I'm mistaken, and I misunderstood the intent of the corn starch trick. You should be doing that on the outside. My apologies for any confusion.

A post on the green board suggests this:

travisc said:
Okay, so I did the corn starch & 70% Isopropyl trick. JUNK! It just made a mess. I then just took straight 70% Isopropyl and wiped down the top real good. The first line to dry was what I marked. It was just where I suspected after looking at many online tutorials on the Sanyo conversion. Worked perfectly. Honestly, I don't know why people use the corn starch.

Try letting the fridge run for 10-15 minutes before applying the alcohol or corn starch. That might make the line easier to find.

EDIT:
Watched the video. You're definitely looking for a hot return line. Ignore all that crap in my previous post. I'll delete it so that future readers don't get confused. You're doing the right thing. Try what travisc suggests.

The Freon line that runs across the top is a condensor line and is tack welded to the metal skin on the inside. The unit sheds its heat through this line on the side panels. The line running across the top connects the coils on the left and right sides together.

Steps to take:

Unplug the Sanyo and let it rest.
Remove the plastic top from the refer which exposes the metal top skin.
Apply the alcohol/starch mix to the top in a thin layer.
Plug the unit in and let it run (door open).
Watch the top carefully and you will see the cornstarch start to dry out where the Freon line is run across the top. The starch becomes stark white when it dries. You have to watch carefully to see it happen. It only takes a minute ot two.

I hope this helps.

BTW, I'm the guy that came up with the method a bunch of years ago. I've done many of them since. It works very well for me.

P-J

I just converted my 4912M a couple weeks ago. After a leap of faith from all that I read here and other write ups, I just drilled right down the middle with a 1 3/4 hole saw with no problems. I am now happily enjoying my new kegerator!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/Balue3/Beer/IMG_20110217_193013.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/Balue3/Beer/IMG_20110218_225508.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/Balue3/Beer/IMG_20110218_225525.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/Balue3/Beer/IMG_20110219_095907.jpg

I just got my 4912M today. I can very easily feel the heat coming off the lines on top of the fridge. If the cornstarch trick doesn't work for you then just judge by the heat you feel. Cornstarch worked fine for me though!

One note of advice from experience though...take the plastic top off...

Haha only took me a few seconds to figure that out but in those few seconds I made a mess on top of the plastic since I wasn't thinking...

Back