Sanyo 4912 or Oster 5.0?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinHog

Reaction score
I have the option to pick up a used sanyo 4912 or get a new oster 5.0 fridge. Due to some best buy connections, I can get the oster at a nice discount. The sanyo is in good condition. My question is, which one should I get? I am leaning towards the sanyo due to how many people have been pleased with it. Any advice or input would be great. Thanks!

Both are convertable to kegerators and there is sufficient information on both for how to do it. If you can get ahold of a used 4912 and save a few bucks then it makes sense, but if not, go for the Oster.

If the Oster is cheaper go for it. Unlike the Sanyo there are no lines on the top so there's one less step. :mug:

Put them up on the classifieds for sale- Give someone the option of either or and you get the remainder. Could make a few $ if you felt like it, or just share the love with another home brewer :)

Personally I am happy with my Sanyo, and I don't think the slightly larger oyster offers any more usable interior space. Drill dead center of 4912 and you're safe, plus you don't have to move the thermostat.

I would take the used Sanyo at a nice price. I know they can hold the cornies with room to spare and as said, drill center and you are ok without need to move the thermostat.

I wouldn't worry about new or used since you will void any warranty when you start cutting apart the fridge.

Well, Im in a similar situation and maybe if I give you the numbers you guys can give me some advice.

Used 4912 "like new - yearish old" $125 cash.
New Oster 5.0 $188 plus tax

Back